Macbook's topcase has a crack?

Reaction score
okay. so today i found out my macbook's topcase has a crack. this isn't the first time that it happened (actually this is the second time), and i'm not at all that worried about warranty because my 1 year hasn't finished yet. what i'm curious about is if they will fix it. i'm not sure but i think remember hearing this guy (i'm kind of the eavesdropper, haha) in the AppleCare store talking to another customer about how hard it will be if a Mac (hardware-wise) is broken. but in contrast to that, i have gotten it fixed once. but will they fix it again for the second time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 Inch MacBook Pro. 2.4 GHz. 2GB RAM. 250GB Hardrive.
I have not had much experience dealing with Applecare but I would think that as long as your warranty is not expired, and you say it isn't, than they should fix it no questions asked.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
okay. so today i found out my macbook's topcase has a crack. this isn't the first time that it happened (actually this is the second time), and i'm not at all that worried about warranty because my 1 year hasn't finished yet. what i'm curious about is if they will fix it. i'm not sure but i think remember hearing this guy (i'm kind of the eavesdropper, haha) in the AppleCare store talking to another customer about how hard it will be if a Mac (hardware-wise) is broken. but in contrast to that, i have gotten it fixed once. but will they fix it again for the second time?

Here's an article from April, 2009 concerning MacBook case cracks:

Apple to Repair Cracked White MacBooks

It states that:

"Apple has expanded the repairs it will cover to include cracks on the bottom of the white MacBook as well. Additionally, Apple is informing its service partners that repairs for cracked cases on white MacBooks that are out of warranty will also be covered."

Here's a 2nd article as well which repeats pretty much the same info:

Apple tweaks warranty policy on MacBook cracks - Ars Technica

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
O
Reaction score
@Nick and Dan: okay. i'll be on my way to the AppleCare center soon then. Thanks for the info. :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
@Nick and Dan: okay. i'll be on my way to the AppleCare center soon then. Thanks for the info. :D

Please stop back in, and let us know how things went. It's very possible some other folks may be in the same boat as you...and would appreciate learning from your experience.

Good luck,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 Inch MacBook Pro. 2.4 GHz. 2GB RAM. 250GB Hardrive.
Good luck with the repairs. Remember to take care of your precious Mac! lol

Reaction score
I had a crack on the lower right side, just to the right of the mousepad. I went into the store and they had it fixed in a couple of hours. I live about an hour from the apple store, but it was well worth the trip.
It looks like they had to replace the entire keyboard. However, with apple care, there was no charge.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Just dont do what i did. I took it apart myself and broke the keyboards connection to the logic board. :(

Reaction score
By all means... don't do what he did!!

No offense Chimpur, how did that make you feel??
Honest answer plz.

Reaction score
Here's an article from April, 2009 concerning MacBook case cracks:

Apple to Repair Cracked White MacBooks

It states that:

"Apple has expanded the repairs it will cover to include cracks on the bottom of the white MacBook as well. Additionally, Apple is informing its service partners that repairs for cracked cases on white MacBooks that are out of warranty will also be covered."

Here's a 2nd article as well which repeats pretty much the same info:

Apple tweaks warranty policy on MacBook cracks - Ars Technica

Hope this helps,

- Nick

I bought my macbook just over a year ago and have also had some issues with the case cracking. Unfortunately I didn't have the extended warranty but I went in to a apple service provider last week after having read these articles. When I asked the tech about it he said that apple no longer offers to fix this problem. I then asked if they would fix it if it was still under warranty. He said no to this as well. I am not sure if this guy was just full of it or if apple has actually stopped fixing the cracks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.