iBook G3 Won't Power On

Reaction score
I recently was given an iBook G3 (I think it is 16 VRAM, A1005). I however was given it without a charger. I bought one on eBay and it came today, but after finally getting it to fit in, (and I know it is the right charger for it), it wouldn't turn on. With, or without the battery. I just get a black screen with no chime. What should I do? I think this computer was rarely if even at all used previously.
Any thoughts?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Does the end of the charger (that plugs into the iBook) turn color (orange or green)?

If the charger end does turn orange or green when plugged into the iBook...does the hard drive spin up after pushing the power button?

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Does the end of the charger (that plugs into the iBook) turn color (orange or green)?

If the charger end does turn orange or green when plugged into the iBook...does the hard drive spin up after pushing the power button?

- Nick

Its a replacement one so it doesn't have a light. I also just messed around on the inside, and the cable that is connected that is gold colored under the keyboard, just got ripped just now. I hope that wasn't anything important.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just the keyboard cable that connects the keyboard to the Logicboard! :D

Sorry.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just the keyboard cable that connects the keyboard to the Logicboard! :D

Sorry.

Ha ha...exactly what I was thinking!!;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its a replacement one so it doesn't have a light. I also just messed around on the inside, and the cable that is connected that is gold colored under the keyboard, just got ripped just now. I hope that wasn't anything important.

I've seen replacements with the lights as well...guess yours is something different.

You didn't answer the hard drive question. If you want help...you have to answer all questions!;)

But now that the keyboard cable is ripped (all cables are important)...maybe this computer is done for (unless you can get a cheap replacement).

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So the computer can still work? I can just plug in a usb keyboard.

Actually that's not a bad idea...so great thought!:) But having to use an external keyboard kind of defeats the ease of portability of a laptop. So hopefully it would only be for a short while.:)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You can get a replacement cheap on ebay but be sure the rest of it works first. When my one cat threw up all over my iBook G4, I got a replacement keyboard for $20 or less.

It could be the DC-IN board. Seen many die and it won't power on. Also could be that Video Chip issue where the chip breaks loose from the Logicboard.

Nick, I have a replacement power adapter that someone got for an old iBook G3 they left here with no light.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It could be the DC-IN board.

Great suggestion...that would explain the dark display.

Nick, I have a replacement power adapter that someone got for an old iBook G3 they left here with no light.

Yeah...I guess they exist. All of mine have lights (I think I have 4-5).;)

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Also its the gold cable thats ripped, not the blue one that the keyboard is, along with the prongs on the board

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also I don't think the hard drive is spinning.....

Yeah...as Dennis suggested...it may be the DC-in board if nothing happens when the iBook power button is pressed.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also its the gold cable thats ripped, not the blue one that the keyboard is, along with the prongs on the board

Usually the keyboard cable is gold/orange colored (a wide ribbon cable). But there were a lot of different models...so maybe that cable was blue on some.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was a thin cable......

That could have been the cable for the power button or speakers...depending how things were disassembled.

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think it might have been green on one of my ibook g4's. The only other ribbon under the keyboard is hidden for the Trackpad.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So what should I do?

Honestly...forget about it. The computer is worth so little...it's really not worth putting money into it.

In fact...for the cost of the parts you may need...you might actually be able to buy a fully functional iBook of the same exact model. You would be surprised how little you can pick one of these things up off of Craig's List (if you keep your eyes "peeled")!;)

On the other hand...if you REALLY want to try to get this computer to work...getting a working DC-in board would be the place to start...and fixing the wire that got broken. Of course all of this is a "crap-shoot" if something else is wrong (like the logic board).

Just part of the "fun" of trying to fix a busted computer.;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.