Internal Storage on Mac Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x2.26 Quad-Core Intel Xeon 6GB 1066MHz DDR3
Hi
new here!
Noticed that on the specs of the new mac pro I got (2x2.26 Quad Core) it says
"A completely new interior makes it even easier to add up to 32GB of memory, four PCI Express expansion cards, and up to 4TB of hard drive storage"

My system hard drive is a 640GB and I want to expand the internal available slots with 2 more 2TB each HDDs, maybe even 3 of those. Will that be a problem?

Thank you!
Moshe

:Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2 x Quad Core Xeon 3.0, 8 Gb RAM, 4TB Storage, 8800 GT
No, you have 3 more slots for extra storage. (4 in total).

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, you have 3 more slots for extra storage. (4 in total).

Thanks. I know about the number of slots, I currently have a 2TB, and two extra 500GB drives in it, totals 3.6TB. But the specs say up to 4TB in 4x1TB drives. The question is, can i put two 2TB drives and exceed the total of 4TB?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks. I know about the number of slots, I currently have a 2TB, and two extra 500GB drives in it, totals 3.6TB. But the specs say up to 4TB in 4x1TB drives. The question is, can i put two 2TB drives and exceed the total of 4TB?

From the info I have found...all indications are that you cannot exceed 4 terabyte even in the newest Mac Pro's.

How do you upgrade the hard drives in the Mac Pro? How many drives of what type are supported? @ EveryMac.com

Here is another interesting article that mentions that you can install a 5th hard drive in newer Mac Pro's...but it does not mention anything about exceeding the 4 terabyte limit.

Installing a 5th Hard Drive into a new Mac Pro 'Nehalem' | Other World Computing Blog

As far as installing that second 2TB drive you have...and exceeding the 4TB limit...why not just "pop" that 2nd 2TB drive into your Mac Pro's 4th hard drive bay...and see what happens.

You're not going to hurt anything...worst case scenario is the computer doesn't recognize it...and then you remove it.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From the info I have found...all indications are that you cannot exceed 4 terabyte even in the newest Mac Pro's.

How do you upgrade the hard drives in the Mac Pro? How many drives of what type are supported? @ EveryMac.com

Here is another interesting article that mentions that you can install a 5th hard drive in newer Mac Pro's...but it does not mention anything about exceeding the 4 terabyte limit.

Installing a 5th Hard Drive into a new Mac Pro 'Nehalem' | Other World Computing Blog

As far as installing that second 2TB drive you have...and exceeding the 4TB limit...why not just "pop" that 2nd 2TB drive into your Mac Pro's 4th hard drive bay...and see what happens.

You're not going to hurt anything...worst case scenario is the computer doesn't recognize it...and then you remove it.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Thanks! That's what I suspected and I will confirm with apple support. I can't "test it" since I haven't gotten second that 2TB yet and want to make sure I don't spend $200 for nothing.

Thanks again!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks! That's what I suspected and I will confirm with apple support. I can't "test it" since I haven't gotten second that 2TB yet and want to make sure I don't spend $200 for nothing.

Thanks again!

Ahh...I see. I thought you already had that 2nd 2TB drive. Checking with Apple is a great idea.

Please let us know what you find out.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.