Confirmed - Leopard is SLOWER than Tiger...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4
My CD Mini and G4 Powerbook feel much faster with Leopard.

:shrug:

OP
Zoolook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My CD Mini and G4 Powerbook feel much faster with Leopard.

:shrug:

Indeed, and if you read the full review of Leopard over at Ars, you will see why. OS X is very good at ensuring the user sees the maximum performance, only a benchmark will reveal the slower 'under-the-bonnet' performance.

You have to love a GUI that appears faster slower over OS performance! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
New operating systems are expected to be slower than their predecessors, so I'm not entirely surprised at this news. Though you have to give credit to Apple for not making the slowdown apparent to the user, as is the case with Vista.

OP
Zoolook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New operating systems are expected to be slower than their predecessors, so I'm not entirely surprised at this news.

Actually 10.0 through to 10.4 resulted in faster performance, so it's been expected that 10.5 would continue this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Indeed, and if you read the full review of Leopard over at Ars, you will see why. OS X is very good at ensuring the user sees the maximum performance, only a benchmark will reveal the slower 'under-the-bonnet' performance.

You have to love a GUI that appears faster slower over OS performance! :D

Actually 10.0 through to 10.4 resulted in faster performance, so it's been expected that 10.5 would continue this.

1) My programs over faster, my searches are quicker, and even Frontrow is improved.

I must be dreaming all of this, with a stop-watch in my hand.

2) 10.0.0 or 10.0.* ?

Biiiiiiiig difference

OP
Zoolook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1) My programs over faster, my searches are quicker, and even Frontrow is improved.

I must be dreaming all of this, with a stop-watch in my hand.

2) 10.0.0 or 10.0.* ?

Biiiiiiiig difference

The GUI is very slick, agreed.

If I meant 10.0.x I would have said that. 10.0.x to 10.4.x showed benchmark and GUI improvements for each major release. Leopard bucks the trend, but as far as I am concerned, this just shows that Leopard really is probably the biggest leap OS X has taken so far. It's a next gen OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

I don't know that they necessarily did...certainly the user experience was more responsive, as with Leopard, but not necessarily the entire OS.

The slow-but-steady upward march of the system requirements since 10.2 belies increasing bloat and complexity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Zoolook, did you read the Leopard review at Ars? Here's a quote from that article that may explain our Leopard experience:

There's a big difference between being "fast" and being "responsive," and Apple's focus is on the latter.

If what the author said is true, that could explain why Leopard "feels" faster but may not do as well in benchmarks.

OP
Zoolook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Zoolook, did you read the Leopard review at Ars? Here's a quote from that article that may explain our Leopard experience:

If what the author said is true, that could explain why Leopard "feels" faster but may not do as well in benchmarks.

Yeah I read the article, and I said what you've just said in my 2nd post... :eek:

zoolook said:

You have to love a GUI that appears faster slower over OS performance!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I don't know that they necessarily did...certainly the user experience was more responsive, as with Leopard, but not necessarily the entire OS.

The slow-but-steady upward march of the system requirements since 10.2 belies increasing bloat and complexity.

Agreed completely.

Another point is, I really do not have much respect for Synthetic benchmarks at all. I have seen Xbench for one score lower after a major upgrade where the machine is clearly faster running real applications and timing the work being done. I wonder what would happen if say you compiled something, Converted a video, a Music file in itunes or something real world and see then how Tiger and Leopard would compare speed wise.

I do know that many things are faster using Leopard that I have tried, but most like Time Machine is due to the improved design of TM itself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The GUI is very slick, agreed.

If I meant 10.0.x I would have said that. 10.0.x to 10.4.x showed benchmark and GUI improvements for each major release. Leopard bucks the trend, but as far as I am concerned, this just shows that Leopard really is probably the biggest leap OS X has taken so far. It's a next gen OS.

I never said that a "slick" GUI was the reason my programs opened faster, and my experience was quicker.

So there is nothing we agree on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, OS X 10.5.1
Your Thread title is misleading. I have a Core 2 Duo therefore it will be faster on my mac.

OP
Zoolook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I never said that a "slick" GUI was the reason my programs opened faster, and my experience was quicker.

So there is nothing we agree on.

Slick is a poor word. The user experience is better and things do seem to open quicker, the GUI does appear faster. I think we do agree, and that's not such a bad thing.

Your Thread title is misleading. I have a Core 2 Duo therefore it will be faster on my mac.

You're right, this is mentioned in the 1st sentence of the actual post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Maybe I'm missing something here, but did they do a test between a single core G5 (1.6Ghz) and a C2D Intel (2 Ghz)? Is anyone surprised at ALL that a dual core processor beat a single core processor?

This is simply an unfairly lopsided test for any number of reasons:

1) 1.67Ghz SINGLE core vs 2.0Ghz DUAL core.

2) 333Mhz RAM vs 667Mhz RAM

Maybe a 2Ghz Dual Core G5 vs a 2Ghz C2D would be a bit more realistic AND revealing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MacBook Pro, iPhone 4
wow, i guess i should hate Leopard now! :Angry-Tongue:

OP
Zoolook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe I'm missing something here, but did they do a test between a single core G5 (1.6Ghz) and a C2D Intel (2 Ghz)? Is anyone surprised at ALL that a dual core processor beat a single core processor?

This is simply an unfairly lopsided test for any number of reasons:

1) 1.67Ghz SINGLE core vs 2.0Ghz DUAL core.

2) 333Mhz RAM vs 667Mhz RAM

Maybe a 2Ghz Dual Core G5 vs a 2Ghz C2D would be a bit more realistic AND revealing.

I thought they also tested a CD vs a C2D, both of which are Dual Cores. :Oops: They didn't... my bad.

As for the other sarcastic replies, thanks, you all contribute the idea that Mac users are dimwits who cannot stand the idea that something from Apple isn't accepted as the holy grail. :Angry-Tongue:

I'm only bitter because I have an Intel CD, missed out on a C2D by about 5 weeks... surely you can allow me that? :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought they also tested a CD vs a C2D, both of which are Dual Cores. :Oops: They didn't... my bad.

As for the other sarcastic replies, thanks, you all contribute the idea that Mac users are dimwits who cannot stand the idea that something from Apple isn't accepted as the holy grail. :Angry-Tongue:

I'm only bitter because I have an Intel CD, missed out on a C2D by about 5 weeks... surely you can allow me that? :D

No, we just don't like people who reword things to fit their own agenda, and those who quote reviews that aren't 100% accurate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

Yeah, I'd much prefer they left it at 10.1.0, packed up and went home. Who needs all these new features and improvements making use of newer, faster and cheaper components and technology?

Personally the only thing I give a monkey's about is how fast it responds to me, the user pulling levers and pressing switches - I couldn't care less about benchmarks.

M

MacHeadCase

No, we just don't like people who reword things to fit their own agenda, and those who quote reviews that aren't 100% accurate.

I think Zoolook made an honest mistake, in his haste to post the link, and he did say so in his last post. I can accept that fact: can you?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.