G4 Upgrade Need Advice

Reaction score
I am currently on a power G4 dual 450, running 10.4.11, with 1G RAM. Dual-display but not enough VRam to run Logic, let alone crawling with my adobe CS4 suite. In addition, this OS will not support blackberry desktop manager with my (new) Tour 9630.

Basically, I am wondering 2 things... what will it take for this machine to support 10.6? Also - I believe I have 4 slots for Ram, and want to know if 2G is the max I can drop in there.

Believe me I wish I could afford to scrap this thing and upgrade, but she has been a great machine since 02, reliable... and I recently wiped the entire drive and the 2nd drive I installed. So basically looking to optimize now that the machine is 'fresh'. I want some advice on exactly what to do next... thanks a lot!

Display specs >

Chipset Model: ATY,LT-C
Type: Display
Bus: PCI
Slot: SLOT-B
VRAM (Total): 16 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x4c49
Revision ID: 0x00dc
ROM Revision: 113-54104-103
Displays:
Display:
Resolution: 1024 x 768
Depth: 8-bit Color
Core Image: Not Supported
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

ATY,Rage128Pro:

Chipset Model: ATY,Rage128Pro
Type: Display
Bus: AGP
Slot: SLOT-A
VRAM (Total): 16 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x5046
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-72701-125
Displays:
DELL E156FP:
Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 75 Hz
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Not Supported
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I
Basically, I am wondering 2 things... what will it take for this machine to support 10.5.5? Also - I believe I have 4 slots for Ram, and want to know if 2G is the max I can drop in there.

To run OS 10.5 you need a minimum of an 867mhz CPU. You could purchase a CPU upgrade card...but it will most likely cost more than your G4 is worth...which by the way is about $50 dollars or less.

But if you can find a used upgrade card cheap (Craig's List or e-Bay)...and some ram (you can upgrade to 2 gig of ram in your computer)...this would probably run you around $100-$150 bucks. This would still be cheaper than a new computer.

But keep in mind...for about $250-$300...you can purchase a used 1.8ghz dual-cpu G5 desktop.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Try Accelerate Your Macintosh! for best advice about making your G4 hum. I think for example that you can put in a Sonnet or PowerLogix processor upgrade - but wait till you see the cost!

Essentially, your situation is that 450 MHz is slow - very slow - by today's demanding standards. That software you're using 'expects' much more than your G4 can currently give. Mactracker recommends 10.4.11 as the maximum OS.

RAM - you can go to 2 Gb under OS X.

OP
J
Reaction score
To run OS 10.5 you need a minimum of an 867mhz CPU. You could purchase a CPU upgrade card...but it will most likely cost more than your G4 is worth...which by the way is about $50 dollars or less.

But if you can find a used upgrade card cheap (Craig's List or e-Bay)...and some ram (you can upgrade to 2 gig of ram in your computer)...this would probably run you around $100-$150 bucks. This would still be cheaper than a new computer.

But keep in mind...for about $250-$300...you can purchase a used 1.8ghz dual-cpu G5 desktop.

HTH,

- Nick

Thanks a lot nick. I meant to say 10.6 - obviously looking for the latest OS. Where would be a good place to start looking for that used G5? I am in a good position to do that now, since I recently wiped my startup drive. I have a very minimal amount of software that I use, and I generally keep a clean house. This is why a used machine would work well for me....

Also - I have a 2nd hard drive (storage) that I put in this machine, could pull that and swap that over to the G5?

OP
J
Reaction score
Try Accelerate Your Macintosh! for best advice about making your G4 hum. I think for example that you can put in a Sonnet or PowerLogix processor upgrade - but wait till you see the cost!

Essentially, your situation is that 450 MHz is slow - very slow - by today's demanding standards. That software you're using 'expects' much more than your G4 can currently give. Mactracker recommends 10.4.11 as the maximum OS.

RAM - you can go to 2 Gb under OS X.

yeah.... it is absolutely sluggish and sucks. I have to use this software very carefully ... to say the least. Thanks I will look into this

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I meant to say 10.6 - obviously looking for the latest OS. Where would be a good place to start looking for that used G5?

It is absolutely impossible to upgrade to 10.6 on a G4. 10.6 requires an Intel CPU.

As far as finding a used G5. If you're located in the United States, e-Bay or Craig's List.

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Also - I have a 2nd hard drive (storage) that I put in this machine, could pull that and swap that over to the G5?

If you're contemplating abandoning the G4, which, sadly, is probably the best option, then pull both drives out to use as external storage, even boot, devices, which you can connect to a more modern Mac with a USB-ATA adaptor.

I can't be sure, but I think Nick may be referring to an iMac. If so, no, you cannot put in a second drive. If however he/you are considering a G5 tower, it is eminently upgradeable. See Mactracker - get info on any Mac for information.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't be sure, but I think Nick may be referring to an iMac.

Sorry if I was unclear. The "G5" I was referring to in my previous posts was the G5 Tower.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
If you're contemplating abandoning the G4, which, sadly, is probably the best option, then pull both drives out to use as external storage, even boot, devices, which you can connect to a more modern Mac with a USB-ATA adaptor.

I can't be sure, but I think Nick may be referring to an iMac. If so, no, you cannot put in a second drive. If however he/you are considering a G5 tower, it is eminently upgradeable. See Mactracker - get info on any Mac for information.

Sorry if I was unclear. The "G5" I was referring to in my previous posts was the G5 Tower.

- Nick

Yeah tower, I know... it would be tough to fit this internal hard drive into an iMac :Shouting: Also since the startup drive is only 20G I probably won't pull that one.... my 2nd drive is about 130G so worth yanking.

Thanks you guys are extremely helpful. Time to kick this to the curb... she's had a good ride.

Any other tips in my mission to upgrade??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pull the optical drive out while you're at it, also any PCI cards, memory modules etc [I hate throwing away anything serviceable - hence little or no room left in this office!]

How 'bout a G5 dual 2.5 Ghz? They were US$2K new, and you could reasonably expect to pay perhaps 1/3 of that price nowadays. Shop around.
[I'd love to have one, but there just isn't room. Besides, I'd have to dispose of my faithful and reliable old G3 b/w with its two hard drives and several external devices.]

OP
J
Reaction score
Pull the optical drive out while you're at it, also any PCI cards, memory modules etc [I hate throwing away anything serviceable - hence little or no room left in this office!]

How 'bout a G5 dual 2.5 Ghz? They were US$2K new, and you could reasonably expect to pay perhaps 1/3 of that price nowadays. Shop around.
[I'd love to have one, but there just isn't room. Besides, I'd have to dispose of my faithful and reliable old G3 b/w with its two hard drives and several external devices.]

How bout one? yeah absoFinlutely. You mean 2.5 ghz per processor, as opposed to the aforementioned 1.8 ghz per processor, correct? yeah i am basically looking for as much speed/power as possible. storage i am good on for now.

This optical is the 3rd one i've had in here, and it's about fried... it will read cdr, won't read dvd, will import, won't burn... believe it or not it is sitting on top of a freakin ZIP drive. This machine looks like my first car. but... taken care of, that dodge aries K had a good run too ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You mean 2.5 ghz per processor
PowerPC 970MP (G5)
Cores - 2 per processor
2.0, 2.3, or dual 2.5 GHz
Max RAM - 16 GB
HD - 160, 250, or 500 GB 7200-rpm
[source: Mactracker]

Where you might find one has already been mentioned. You could also look in M-F Buy/Sell/Trade. We don't use eBay or Craigslist in NZ, too much hassle with international shipping.

I take it your software is for PPC, or will it work with Intel? I ask that in case you might consider a Mac Pro, but then the purchase cost rises significantly.

This machine looks like my first car. But... taken care of, that dodge aries K had a good run too ;D

Fellow-feeling. Off-topic, but I drive a Toyota Hilux diesel - 22 years old this year, 260 000 km, and still going strong-ish! Owes me nothing.

OP
J
Reaction score
I take it your software is for PPC, or will it work with Intel? I ask that in case you might consider a Mac Pro, but then the purchase cost rises significantly.

I am not sure... I know that I am using on this machine now - Adobe CS4, and I am looking to use Logic 8, but do not have the VRam required. Aside from the office software/entourage... this is all I really need when I jump to a new machine.

What do you suggest? Where do the main differences lie between G5 and Pro?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any other tips in my mission to upgrade??

What do you suggest? Where do the main differences lie between G5 and Pro?

Depends on your budget...how much are you willing to spend on a "newer" computer?

BIG differences between a G5 & a Pro...one VERY big one is price!

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Depends on your budget...how much are you willing to spend on a "newer" computer?

BIG differences between a G5 & a Pro...one VERY big one is price!

- Nick

I am trying not to spend more than $1000, I realize that puts me only in the used machine bracket.... what else can you tell me? I don't know if I even need a pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A Pro is for high-end, high-demand video and graphics editing/processing. It's also used for music production. A G5 will do the same, only less efficiently and less quickly.

Essentially, and this doesn't tell the whole story, a Pro is super-duper G5 tower, with faster, more powerful processors (Intel). It will handle anything but the kitchen sink thrown at it. Unless you're extremely fortunate, US$1K will not buy you a used Mac Pro.

For what you've told us you want to do, but couldn't do successfully with the G4, I'd say a G5 is sufficient for your purposes.
[For comparison, a Mac Pro starts at US$1850 - used - in NZ; a used G5 (dual 2 GHz) starts at US$500.]

OP
J
Reaction score
A Pro is for high-end, high-demand video and graphics editing/processing. It's also used for music production. A G5 will do the same, only less efficiently and less quickly.

Essentially, and this doesn't tell the whole story, a Pro is super-duper G5 tower, with faster, more powerful processors (Intel). It will handle anything but the kitchen sink thrown at it. Unless you're extremely fortunate, US$1K will not buy you a used Mac Pro.

For what you've told us you want to do, but couldn't do successfully with the G4, I'd say a G5 is sufficient for your purposes.
[For comparison, a Mac Pro starts at US$1850 - used - in NZ; a used G5 (dual 2 GHz) starts at US$500.]

Makes sense... that's the thing I am a graphic designer, write music and have some video editing exp. I don't think any of the video/gfx I do would be considered high-demand (yet). Sounds like the G5 is the best investment, as I don't need a full-blown editing suite... thanks buddy

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am trying not to spend more than $1000, I realize that puts me only in the used machine bracket.... what else can you tell me? I don't know if I even need a pro

Here are a bunch of options given your $1000 budget:

- I think that you would do fine with a nice dual-processor G5 tower computer. And like I mentioned earlier, you can get a dual 1.8ghz G5 tower for around $250-$300 on e-Bay. Slighter more for the faster CPU models.

- Some folks will say forget about the G4 & G5 computers, and say get an Intel based Macintosh. Which is great advice as long as you have the budget. With $1000...you can definitely afford an "Intel Mac"

- Don't forget to consider getting an Intel based iMac. You could definitely get an older Intel based iMac for around $600+.

- You could get an older used Intel Based MacBook for around $500+.

- Also consider that a "Brand New" Macbook costs $999.

- FYI...I just purchased a 17" 1.8ghz G5 iMac for $100...awesome!:)

Hope this helps,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Hugh,

I like your analogy of a Mac Pro being a "super-duper" G5 (except for the PPC vs. Intel processor)...a straight & simple explanation.

Regarding purchasing a used Mac Pro for $1000. Believe it or not I purchased a Mac Pro (original "quad-core" model) about 18 months ago before the 2009 Mac Pro models were released...when the original Mac Pros were worth more.

I paid $1050 for my Mac Pro about 18 months ago...when they were selling for $1600-$1900 on e-Bay. So yes...I didn't get my used Mac Pro for $1000...but I did get it for $1050!;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Also...don't forget to check the Apple Online Stores "Refurbished Section"...you can find some nice deals there...and you get a full 12 month warranty just like new computers.

Here's a nice 20" Intel based iMac for $849:

Refurbished iMac 20-inch 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (U.S.)

HTH,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.