Ipod 'classic'...bad reviews? how does it sound?

Reaction score
I was going to sell my gen 5th video ipod (30 gig) and get a new ipod classic 160gig. However I've heard some bad reviews about it and that the sound quality is actually poorer.

I was planning on getting the 160 because I'm starting to make my music lossless format.

Anyone know if this is true?

Should I rather get a 80 gig 5th gen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2 ghz intel core 2 duo processor, 120 gig hd, 1 gig of ram, leopord-macbook 80 gig ipod classic
i have the 80 gig classic ipod in silver and its awesome. comes with a bunch of new features(better screen, new games, new interface ect) and the sound quality didnt change. idk what those guys were smoking but the past 3 ipods i had have been great and sound quality was never an issue. i would def get the classic. if you got the 5th gen 80 gig youd be carrying around a brick in your pocket. that thing is thick as heck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
There was an issue with the software being a bit slow, but I believe a software update fixed that issue. I think the rest of the hardware remains the same as the previous generation iPod, so sound quality should be the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2 ghz intel core 2 duo processor, 120 gig hd, 1 gig of ram, leopord-macbook 80 gig ipod classic
There was an issue with the software being a bit slow, but I believe a software update fixed that issue. I think the rest of the hardware remains the same as the previous generation iPod, so sound quality should be the same.
its actually noticeably faster. theres no lag in between switching songs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Mine sounds just fine, although I use it only for video.

Reaction score
Can't tell the difference between my old 30GB iPod Photo and the Classic. Love them both.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Mine sounds great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
I like my calssic (80GB) - I think that there are a couple of quirks that I don't remember on my 5.5G (30GB) iPod - like when I turn the volume down all the way - it doesn't go to nothing... Furthermore I don't actually think the volume decreases for the last 1/4-1/3 of the volume slider.

Also if I pause a track and then leave the iPod for a few moments until the screen turns off - the iPod starts to make white noise through the ear phones.

Anyone else notice the problems I speak of or have I got a dodgy one?

Oh and there's the problem with previous gen games - but thats been covered many, many times before. ;)

I like the iPod Classic - but I wish they would make one with the metal they use on the front also on the back as the shiney backs just beg to be scratched.

I never found a problem with the speed of the software and when the thing is actually playing music I think it sounds great.

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I like my calssic (80GB) - I think that there are a couple of quirks that I don't remember on my 5.5G (30GB) iPod - like when I turn the volume down all the way - it doesn't go to nothing... Furthermore I don't actually think the volume decreases for the last 1/4-1/3 of the volume slider.

Also if I pause a track and then leave the iPod for a few moments until the screen turns off - the iPod starts to make white noise through the ear phones.

Anyone else notice the problems I speak of or have I got a dodgy one?

I've experienced both of those, I got the white noise once when I'd turned it off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D, 2Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, ipod nano 8GB, 500GB MyBook
I also heard or read somewhere that the sound quality on the classic is inferior to the 5th gen iPod video, just before I was about to buy the classic. I just now searched on google and found this article, which seems fairly reliable and calls into question the sound quality on the classic:

http://blog.wired.com/music/2007/09/ipod-classics-s.html

Apparently, the hardware is not completely the same between the two iPods:

"the problem, such as it is, appears to be with the Cirrus chip Apple used for the Classic as opposed to the Wolfson chip found in the 5G/5.5G iPods."

Also, here's a discussion regarding this topic on the apple support forums:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1126861

After reading this, I think I've decided to go with a 5 or 5.5 gen 80GB iPod.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.