2009 MBP - Possible Trackpad Problem

Reaction score
Hey everybody, so I've got a 2009 MBP and I think that there is a problem with the trackpad.

Every so often (maybe 1-5 times per day) the cursor on the screen will behave as though I have my finger permanently depressed and I'm trying to select things on screen. So for example, if I'm browsing the internet and I'm moving my cursor around, it will be selecting everything on the page, causing it to scroll down, obscure things etc.

The cursor will just continuously draw boxes on the desktop, again trying to select objects even though I haven't initiated such actions.

No amount of clicking/double clicking will remove the problem and I basically have to restart the machine so that it is usable again.

It's hard to explain so I'm sorry if I haven't conveyed the problem properly. I'll try and get a video if need be.

I've also reinstalled Snow Leopard and the problem is still there, leading me to believe that it's a hardware problem.

I've never used the Genius Bar before and although I have Apple Care, I'm reluctant to take it in because the problem isn't replicable, it appears once or twice per day.

Or maybe I'm missing some sort of software configuration that has gone completely over my head, but even so, the MBP has been fine for about 11 months up until now...

Thanks.

OP
T
Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
have you disabled one finger dragging?
Yes the OP should try turning off one finger "tap to click" and "dragging". See if the problem persists. I have also installed the trackpad update on my 2009 and don't have any problems but I do have those two features turned off.

When those two one finger gestures were on I had similar problems as tricky10 but not as bad. This was way before the trackpad update. I found those features annoying so I've had them turned off since getting my MBP.

Reaction score
Seems to be a bug from the latest update. This one is really annoying.

Trackpad issue stuck on dragging and selecting - Mac Forums

since installing a recent update i have been experiencing this.. changing some trackpad setting does solve it for me.. but i use one finger dragging, i had thought that it was the "drag lock" that had been enabled but no..
i am able to get it back to the correct way, generally only after of few seconds of erratic multiple clicks or some doubletaps or some two finger taps..
but its highly irritating,
i wonder if mac know, i figure its a bug as it happened the day of the update and ever since, but never before.
if they do, i guess its just a wait and see situation.. hopefully it gets sorted soon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5"4K, MBP 15" wTB
I had that problem, too, on a late 2008 unibody MacBook Pro. I tried to squeeze the battery and use tape to space it away from the trackpad, but not a continuous fix. I bought a new Apple OEM battery, twice, from China. They are the real deal, all the designations are the same as Apple's, because it is from the same supplier. The price of both were about 60% of Apple's price, but slower delivery. They work fine, but I usually remove the battery compartment cover for deep recharging, and keep it on a cooling Belkin laptop stand. Third battery has not become a problem. Go to eBay. Include your batteries four digit "A" number, e.g. A1281.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.