• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Why I'm Not Committing to Lion Yet

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree about not getting a physical copy of the OS with a new machine.

But, nope. What I've found is that once you register your new machine that comes with Lion, Garageband, iPhoto, iMovie.... The software is now associated with your Apple ID - not the machine it originally shipped on.

Plus, now that we've been here and know how (or at least, where to find the directions) to make a backup in case our drive dies - we have no more excuses.

Excellent find Bob. Good going.

I do agree that Apple though should give a Recovery Flash Drive with new systems though. Would make it easy for the Novice user.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Donno, I bailed on it due to a bug. Seems I was able to regression test it, all on my own ;)

To be honest, I'll probably wait at this point till I NEED to go to Lion.

I think we've already had this discussion. You are the exception, not the norm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I think we've already had this discussion. You are the exception, not the norm.

Such an exception that Apple saw fit to make every single change in 10.7.1 a bugfix? :Confused:

Saying the bugs documented by millions of results on any search engine don't exist doesn't make them not exist...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Saying the bugs documented by millions of results on any search engine don't exist doesn't make them not exist...

Apple makes most releases bug fixes and patches. That's the whole point. The fact that the vast majority of Mac users likely never encountered the problem doesn't mean it didn't need to be fixed. Just because you encountered the issue doesn't mean that it was a big deal or even a particularly high priority issue to fix, it means that you saw an issue. Nothing more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Apple makes most releases bug fixes and patches. That's the whole point. The fact that the vast majority of Mac users likely never encountered the problem doesn't mean it didn't need to be fixed. Just because you encountered the issue doesn't mean that it was a big deal or even a particularly high priority issue to fix, it means that you saw an issue. Nothing more.
I agree, however, I keep seeing people say this release is bug-free. I find that HIGHLY unlikely. Regardless of my personal experience with THIS issue. More so, my experience actually on the development side of the equation tells me that this just aint so. Now with that, I'm done with these threads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2010 15" MBP; late 2012 11" MBA; iPhone 5
I've committed to Lion because I just think it's better to rise the horse in the direction it's going. The bugs annoy me but they'll gradually disappear.

The one Lion feature that's really bothered me, is the loss of Spaces and the old Expose. I know how to use Mission Control and I'm familiar with all the tweaks. But Mission Control doesn't do it for me. I'm hoping against hope that some enterprising 3rd party developer can produce a Snow Leopardesque Spaces app!

That said, there are plenty of features in Lion that are improvements over SL (Mail, for example) and I'd rather put up with early-version Lion issues, than wait months for a significant update.

That's just my opinion; I understand why others would want to hang back awhile.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Trust me people, Dysfunction's Battery life issue with Lion is very true. I know him quite well and he is not just saying this to run down Lion. Anandtech had that SAME issue Dysfunction is having on one of their 15" MBP's.

The other bugs are very small. Some will not even notice most.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Anandtech review, with reference to C2D MBPs:
The early 2008 MacBook Pro showed around a 20% decrease in battery life in our two web browsing battery life tests. Once again we saw no difference in our heavy multitasking test. Once again I'm guessing this change is due to some tinkering with OS X's behavior at idle. Our performance data above doesn't suggest any performance issues causing lower battery life on the old Core 2 Duo based MacBook Pro, so there's got to be something keeping the CPU out of its lower idle states during our tests. I checked Activity Monitor during the benchmarks and didn't see anything obvious, meaning it's likely a lower level OS issue. Our own Brian Klug theorized that the lower battery life could be due to the Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro now loading Lion's 64-bit kernel by default instead of the 32-bit kernel like it did in the Snow Leopard days.

The impact is pretty significant on the older MacBook Pro. Older mobile Mac owners dependent on battery life may want to wait to pull the trigger on Lion until at least the first point update.

I will add that something very strange happened on one of our battery life runs with the 2011 MacBook Pro. During our Flash Web Browsing battery life test we recorded a full battery rundown that took under 3 hours, instead of the ~7 hours you see above. Once again I checked Activity Monitor to ensure nothing funny was going on and didn't find anything odd. Subsequent runs couldn't duplicate the result either. It's pretty unusual for us to see that sort of run-to-run variation in our tests so it's not totally clear what happened there, other than Lion does seem to be doing more in the background which could impact battery life than previous iterations of OS X.

An informal poll on MacRumours shows ~ 50% of users experiencing battery issues (source). I also found this thread on the Apple boards pretty quickly.

The battery issue isn't a unique issue. In fact, quite a few people seem to be having it so it would be difficult to say that this is an uncommon problem. My battery isn't what it used to be so I won't claim that the shorter life is due to Lion but if there really are more background processes, it isn't helping the case. On average though, I run this thing on AC so I don't really notice this like Dysfunction might.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for posting that Anandtech URL Van.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad
Some people complain that you did not get a USB stick with LION on it when you buy a new Mac , well that is correct .
But on they other hand a MAC can boot up from every drive as long as it has GUID partition table.
Bearing in mind that the average life time of a HD is 3 to 5 years it is always wise to make e clone of you're system HD on a external drive .
If you're HD is failing replace it and clone you're copy back to you're new drive .

Reaction score
Some people complain that you did not get a USB stick with LION on it when you buy a new Mac , well that is correct .
But on they other hand a MAC can boot up from every drive as long as it has GUID partition table.
Bearing in mind that the average life time of a HD is 3 to 5 years it is always wise to make e clone of you're system HD on a external drive .
If you're HD is failing replace it and clone you're copy back to you're new drive .

While that is certainly true the problem lies way beyond the people who "know about technology". Apple has built their reputation on making things incredibly easy and reliable. This is why consumers pay a premium for Apple products (and of course they look pretty).

This whole move to get it from the app store or pay $60+ for a USB stick is really silly for an OS. I can totally understand it for a piece of software but not the software that runs the core of your machine. If something fails, people want to run to the local store, grab a new drive, and be back and running as quickly as possible.

As far as this whole move to "store everything in the cloud", I for one am not on board with it at all. How many times do the hackers have to prove that people can break into any system if they are dedicated enough. Information that is uploaded to the Internet (in any manner) can be stolen. I'm not putting my financial records, nor my contacts/customers, or any other sensitive data anywhere but on my local network. If I have a hard drive failure, I'll restore from our backup system. This is why IT departments still exist.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad
While that is certainly true the problem lies way beyond the people who "know about technology". Apple has built their reputation on making things incredibly easy and reliable. This is why consumers pay a premium for Apple products (and of course they look pretty).

This whole move to get it from the app store or pay $60+ for a USB stick is really silly for an OS. I can totally understand it for a piece of software but not the software that runs the core of your machine. If something fails, people want to run to the local store, grab a new drive, and be back and running as quickly as possible.

As far as this whole move to "store everything in the cloud", I for one am not on board with it at all. How many times do the hackers have to prove that people can break into any system if they are dedicated enough. Information that is uploaded to the Internet (in any manner) can be stolen. I'm not putting my financial records, nor my contacts/customers, or any other sensitive data anywhere but on my local network. If I have a hard drive failure, I'll restore from our backup system. This is why IT departments still exist.

But what is you're point .
That it is difficult to make a clone on a USB or Firewiredrive , because that is what I am suggesting .
In my times when I was still working in ICT we all ways keep 3 generation of our data .
As we called it grandfather father and son .
Kept in different places .
But for a home user somewhat over killed
I did NOT mentioned cloud computing , NOT anywhere

Reaction score
But what is you're point .
That it is difficult to make a clone on a USB or Firewiredrive , because that is what I am suggesting .
In my times when I was still working in ICT we all ways keep 3 generation of our data .
As we called it grandfather father and son .
Kept in different places .
But for a home user somewhat over killed
I did NOT mentioned cloud computing , NOT anywhere

No, what I'm suggesting is that the "average" computer user knows very little about technology, and when/if they have a failure all they want to do is place a phone call to a support person and have that person walk them through getting their system back and running as quickly as possible.

The majority of these "average" users won't even think to make a USB or FW clone so regardless of how simple it might be for people like us who work with technology every single day, it is asking quite a lot of the general public.

Reaction score
The upgrade process was buggy and the new MacBook airs had a video problem that caused lion to freez during video. I had this problem with my new MacBook air. They patched Lion about 3 weeks after it came out which fixed most all the issues. Upgrades now run smooth. Personally I wish there was a way to turn off the dash board and mission control. I see no need for those features. Other then that it works great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
After trying to get used to the mostly unmitigated disaster that is Mission Control for months now, I'm contemplating writing a piece sort of like the article this thread links to, except more specific and actually substantive.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love Mission Control. Hard to use my older Macs without it now. Everything right there and easy to use.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
+1. That and "Air Drop" are great. I'm a bit disappointed that my old 2008 MacBook doesn't support Air Drop. It's so handy for moving files and photos.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@dtravis7:
Eh, I have a number of issues with Mission Control as a power user because it outright eliminated a lot of functionality that used to be in Snow Leopard, much of which I consider important. I can see the appeal in casual use of Mission Control though, especially since I started out being pretty optimistic about it. I'm mainly bummed that Apple chose to actually take away power (and some ease of power-use) from OS X for the sake of making something to appeal to the average user when historically no OS X release has ever done so. Well, that and Apple's new fullscreen implementation with Desktops makes it impossible to fullscreen something to one monitor while still being able to use the other for stuff. I can get into more details if you'd like to chat privately, but I'm worried I might go into rant mode if I start. :p

@chscag:
AirDrop's requirements kind of blind-sided me at first with my early 2008 MacBook pro, but the hardware reason makes complete sense, so I can live with that. I wonder if I can get AirDrop to work if I install a newer wireless card in my MBP... hmmm...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.