wireless router

Reaction score
I am newer to Mac by about 7 months, don't really have an issue, except for my wireless. I seem to lose and reconnect to my wireless router, only with the Mac, I have a desktop, and the wireless router is sitting next to the Mac. I can be using it, and the connection will be lost, when I look at the wireless indicator, it shows it is searching, it will reconnect, but why do I lose the connection. I have the wireless router connecting my work Pc and my ps3 without issue... Any idea's? thanks. Dennis

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Well if it's right next to it I'd connect it by Ethernet cable.

But to resolve your wifi issues make sure the security on your router is at least WPA based and not wep, make sure your network is top of the priority list in network - wifi - advanced(or even the only one) and make sure you haven't allocated a static ip on your mac that another device may be using.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
IMAC operating Lion 10.7.3, wireless router is a Linksys wrt54g2 v1

Just to pitch in, in my experience the iMac operating 10.7.3 prefers an 'N' Router and the 5Ghz band as well when there is other equipment connecting to the router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Try setting to WPA2 and manually select a channel instead of auto in your router.
Then on the Mac edit your wi-fi selection to your SSID only if the above does not work.
Also if you have a neighbor with a strong 5GHz router the newer Mac's seek that band by default.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Just so you know, 5GHz actually has more problems with connections and stability. It gives you more bandwidth, but can't travel as far as 2.4GHz, and degrades quicker when going through walls and electronics. It's mostly useful in environments that have a lot of 2.4GHz appliances. Linksys and ATT/Motorola routers/modems seem to give Macs the most problems. Seems to have something to do with renewing IP addresses while in wireless mode, which is why you don't see those problems running of ethernet.

I too had problems with a linksys G router and Motorola router/modem. I switched to a Cisco(ISP) modem and NetGear N router, and it's PERFECT!

One other thing I forgot to mention is that having a router right next to your computer is actually not a good thing. At least 2+ feet is a good thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
iggibar; I too had problems with a linksys G router and Motorola router/modem. I switched to a Cisco(ISP) modem and NetGear N router said:
Yep, I upgraded from a Belkin 54G to a N600DB and have had great connection since, particularly when I forced the iMac onto the 5gHz band. I had a cordless phone base station at 2.4gHz nearby.

That's a good point about the location, I always thought that the router needed to be in a position central to the accommodation and in a relatively higher position than a desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook ipad2 iphone4wht ipodtouch(3) ipodnano appletv
Time capsule works great for me:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.