• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

No More Sharp Edges – MacBook Pro 2011

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
God bless it! Now I wish I would have waited to upgrade. I hate the edges on this thing.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I wish they had done the same with the new iMacs this year. The mid 2011 models still have the rather sharp edges at the bottom and sides. Although admittedly an iMac is not made to be carried around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I'm still not sure which model this article was referring to: the early 2011 revision or the revision that just came out in the last week?

OP
Andres87
Reaction score
I'm still not sure which model this article was referring to: the early 2011 revision or the revision that just came out in the last week?

the ones that just came out in october, my early 2011 MBP has the sharp edges :(

Reaction score
The only problem I have with the edges is that they get chipped pretty easily. For example, I picked up a plate and accidentally hit my MacBook Pro with it and it took a small chip out :'(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
the ones that just came out in october, my early 2011 MBP has the sharp edges :(

This model is suddenly looking very attractive... if only I hadn't upgraded the HDD in my 2008 MacBook Pro two months ago!

OP
Andres87
Reaction score
This model is suddenly looking very attractive... if only I hadn't upgraded the HDD in my 2008 MacBook Pro two months ago!

it really does but I've decided to wait until Intel releases new chips next year to upgrade after all my MBP its only a few months old :p

Reaction score
I wonder if Apple provides a MBP exchange program for people that have bought them in 2010. Those sharp edges are a law suit waiting to happen ...

Just noticed that the edges on my keyboard are pretty sharp too - I need another keyboard though. Should I wait for the next release and hope this issue will be fixed? Any rumours when the next version of the keyboard is coming out?

Reaction score
I'm liking this new look. I know that edges on the old polycarb white unibody MB's chip just as easily.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
God bless it! Now I wish I would have waited to upgrade. I hate the edges on this thing.

Well, after nearly 3 years of dealing with the wrist rests, I finally got around to filing mine down. I used this guy's tutorial:

How to File the Sharp Edge Off a MacBook Pro

...and an existing combination file I had. It took a bit of patience to get the edges consistent, but let me tell you, I wish I would have done this years ago. What a difference... and you really have to look to notice it visually.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.