Data Doubler Question, SSD where?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.4ghz i5 Macbook Pro
Hey guys, going to be throwing a OWC 120gb SSD in my macbook pro and keep my 7200rpm 750gb drive as my media storage but have a question.

I read that keeping the platter drive in it's original place is best due to the mounting points, but I've also read that if you put the SSD drive in place of the optical drive you will have wake issues due to the computer not checking that connection.

Any truth to this? Where are you guys sticking your SSDs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2011 13" MBP Crucial M4 256gb SSD, 8 gb ram
Late 2011 13" MBP - Replaced stock HD with OWC SSD and put larger HD in optibay. Moved home folder (with gigs and gigs of music, photos and movies) to HD. I know you are asking the opposite, but I have had zero problems with this set up, running very quick and stable. Picked up enclosure for original HD that I keep a current clone of SSD on in case SSD goes belly up, then all I have to do is swap out the drives and be back up and running quickly. You will love the difference the SSD makes. Good luck.

Reaction score
Ssd

Hey guys, going to be throwing a OWC 120gb SSD in my macbook pro and keep my 7200rpm 750gb drive as my media storage but have a question.

I read that keeping the platter drive in it's original place is best due to the mounting points, but I've also read that if you put the SSD drive in place of the optical drive you will have wake issues due to the computer not checking that connection.

Any truth to this? Where are you guys sticking your SSDs?

I put my 128GB Crucial drive in HDD bay.....NO PROBLEMS....boots almost instantly.....will be soon replacing optical with a backup SSD clone using superduper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
SSD in HDD default spot, HDD in optibay no problems at all.

Don't put the whole users folder on the HD as some sites suggest. I've found this slows everything down to HD speeds as OSX will need to access your users library app support folder everytime you launch an application.
Rather stick everything on there that you don't need every day. Documents, Music, Movies, Pictures etc.

If you do it that way, OSX will not have to access the HD all the time, so I've set HD spindown time to 5 mins instead of 10.
HOW TO: set disk spindown time for hard drives in a Mac « The Warne Account

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.