iPad & Internet Based Games

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So I'm thinking of getting an iPad for my wife for Christmas (although I really want to wait until iPad version 2).

Two internet based games that she likes to play are "Farmville" & "Mafia Wars". Can anyone tell me how well these internet based games play on the iPad?

Thanks,

- Nick

Reaction score
So I'm thinking of getting an iPad for my wife for Christmas (although I really want to wait until iPad version 2).

Two internet based games that she likes to play are "Farmville" & "Mafia Wars". Can anyone tell me how well these internet based games play on the iPad?

Thanks,

- Nick

Aren't those Abode Flash type games

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aren't those Abode Flash type games

Do you mean "Adobe" flash based games.;)

Are you suggesting that since "flash" is not supported on the iPad that these games do not or will not run on the iPad? If so...that's the sort of answer I was looking for.

Thanks,

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Farmville - released Oct. 21st

Mafia Wars - been out for awhile, last update July 22nd

Bob...thanks for the links. The one thing that I might not be sure of is...some of these games are "apps" that reside inside the devices storage...and some of them reside on the internet.

I know that my wife has a 'Farmville" app on her iPod Touch...but the "Farmville" that she plays on her Macbook is different. I will have to check with her on the details.

Thanks again for the links,

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yeah, my wife plays Farmville also. I really don't know if the flash based online game crosses over with your account info to the iDevices or not - never asked.

Reaction score
Sorry

Do you mean "Adobe" flash based games.;)

Are you suggesting that since "flash" is not supported on the iPad that these games do not or will not run on the iPad? If so...that's the sort of answer I was looking for.

Thanks,

- Nick

Nick your are correct "Adobe" Sorry - I think they are flash games and they will not work on an Ipad

Thanks

C

chas_m

Bob...thanks for the links. The one thing that I might not be sure of is...some of these games are "apps" that reside inside the devices storage...and some of them reside on the internet.

This is not correct. Both of these apps are apps that run natively on the iPhone or iPad. Farmville JUST got an update to be "HD" on the iPad, Mafia Wars will get the same treatment soon enough ... Zynga loves Apple, let's just put it that way.

Farmville, as a game, has MINOR variations across the myriad platforms on which it exists, but is basically the same ... in fact, a selling point on the iPhone version was that you can play on Facebook (web), and pick it up on the iPhone where you left off.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's pretty slick chas. Don't think my wife has even installed it in her iPhone, worried that she would be starting from the beginning again.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is not correct. Both of these apps are apps that run natively on the iPhone or iPad. Farmville JUST got an update to be "HD" on the iPad, Mafia Wars will get the same treatment soon enough ... Zynga loves Apple, let's just put it that way.

Farmville, as a game, has MINOR variations across the myriad platforms on which it exists, but is basically the same ... in fact, a selling point on the iPhone version was that you can play on Facebook (web), and pick it up on the iPhone where you left off.

Maybe there is a bit of confusion. The comparison I'm concerned with is between the iPad & Macbook (not iPhone & iPad).

My wife (like many players of Farmville & Mafia Wars)...has spent 100's of hours building their "worlds"...and I don't think that she would be very happy if she wasn't able to log into the "same world" on the iPad as with her Macbook.

Thanks,

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Installed Farmville HD on my iPad this morning - it's free. When you start it up, it asks to sign in to your Facebook account, once done, it downloaded my wife's Farmville and she says exactly where she left off on the computer - complete with the pics of her neighbors and all.

That first launch did take a few minutes to completely fill in everything as she has a ton of stuff. Now, I only hope that doesn't induce her to want to start using my iPad.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Installed Farmville HD on my iPad this morning - it's free. When you start it up, it asks to sign in to your Facebook account, once done, it downloaded my wife's Farmville and she says exactly where she left off on the computer - complete with the pics of her neighbors and all.

That first launch did take a few minutes to completely fill in everything as she has a ton of stuff. Now, I only hope that doesn't induce her to want to start using my iPad.

Awesome Bob...thank you very much...exactly the answer I was looking for. Thanks for taking the time to check it out. Now that you installed Farmville on the your iPad...will your wife still let you use it!;)

- Nick

C

chas_m

I suspect there will soon be "Farm-anon" chapters of rehab groups setting up all over the country. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.