Hot backside!

Reaction score
So I just picked up my new iPad at Walmart, and I noticed the back is very hot. I am wondering if anybody else is experiencing the same thing. I don't know if it's the new battery or the new graphics chip but it is definitely hotter than my iPad 2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Hot straight out of the box? Or have you been using it? Which apps?

The new graphics processor will run hotter than it's predecessor when pushed. It's been noted in a few reviews but none have expressed concern at it being overly hot.

OP
I
Reaction score
I plugged it in right off the bat, so it was doing my iCloud backup and the restoring of all of the apps. I wasn't actually running any apps.

It's the lower left side. Don't know if that is the location of the graphics chip or not...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
So it was processing the restore. I doubt it's too unusual. If it gets uncomfortable to hold then I'd think about taking it back

C

chas_m

I have heard reports that the larger battery and faster processor does heat up the new iPad more than its predecessor, so unless it's uncomfortably hot or shutting down to due to the heat I would expect this to be normal. I've also heard it said that that battery takes longer to charge than the previous model, being about 20 percent more capacity than the "old" one.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses everyone. I am still a little worried. I have just been checking email and surfing the web for the last hour or so and this left side is getting pretty hot. Both the front and back are uncomfortably hot.

Anyone else experiencing this out there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Thanks for the responses everyone. I am still a little worried. I have just been checking email and surfing the web for the last hour or so and this left side is getting pretty hot. Both the front and back are uncomfortably hot.

Anyone else experiencing this out there?

My new iPad gets much hotter than my iPad 2 did. "Uncomfortably hot" is more of a a personal opinion. For me it's hot but not uncomfortably hot. Do you have a case for it yet? If not that may help. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
From just web browsing mine gets noticeably warm, but not hot or uncomfortable. But I am concerned about how hot it'll get in a case.

It'll be interesting to see how it gets under heavier load.

C

chas_m

I can't correct my previous post now, but I meant to say 70 percent more capacity on the battery.

Reaction score
I got my i3 last Friday and noticed right away the heat issue. It is significantly hotter thsn my old ipad. Kind of concerns me. Sometimes it is just uncomfrtable to hold.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
It seems like a lot of people are having this problem. Some possible causes have been found. Some say that the battery needs 'conditioning' i.e. draining until its dead and then recharging to 100% a few times. Also some others say that turning off auto-brightness and lowering it to around 70% helps. You could also try disabling iCloud. Try giving your battery a few cycles during the period of a week and see if it helps with the heat/charging issues. If it doesn't you can take it back to apple, you have 14 days from the day of purchase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's not a 'problem' as such;
Apple responds to supposed iPad heat issues

Heat is a subjective thing, the same can be said of what you consider is uncomfortable.

Apple's statement says that the higher heat output is within tolerance for the design. That's not to say its within your tolerance. I'd suggest either return it, speak directly to Apple about it or get a case.

C

chas_m

It seems like a lot of people are having this problem. Some possible causes have been found. Some say that the battery needs 'conditioning' i.e. draining until its dead and then recharging to 100% a few times. Also some others say that turning off auto-brightness and lowering it to around 70% helps. You could also try disabling iCloud. Try giving your battery a few cycles during the period of a week and see if it helps with the heat/charging issues. If it doesn't you can take it back to apple, you have 14 days from the day of purchase.

All but the last sentence of this is nonsense that will have absolutely zero impact.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 3.2QC, 27" (Oct 2012), iPad (3rd)、iPhone 6 Plus
So I just picked up my new iPad at Walmart, and I noticed the back is very hot. I am wondering if anybody else is experiencing the same thing. I don't know if it's the new battery or the new graphics chip but it is definitely hotter than my iPad 2.

Just bought the new iPad yesterday from a local AT&T store (only two left, 16GB model). After running an hour or so, I noticed the same. From the portrait position, left lower gets very hot. I went to the store today (3/23) and asked about it. They told me many complaints have been reported. So you are not the only one; I am, at least, one of them :D

It is still less than 2-day old so I will keep my eyes on further information.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
iPad 3 runs 10 degrees hotter than the iPad 2. It's been widely reported in the news for days now. Slap a case on it and stop worrying about it. You're not going to get third degree burns from it, so enjoy your new toy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 3 runs 10 degrees hotter than the iPad 2. It's been widely reported in the news for days now. Slap a case on it and stop worrying about it. You're not going to get third degree burns from it, so enjoy your new toy

Agreed. And there's plenty of info in this thread too..

Basically if it's running 'very hot' - like say boiling water, I'd say that was very hot. Then I'd return it.

If, on the other hand, it's just a bit warm then all will be well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
Well, got mine today. Gotta say I see much improved performance from the iPad 1. Been running it all afternoon heat hasn't been noticeable to me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.