Downloaded Lion, can i download it again for free ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
I have downloaded and installed Lion perfectly ok, and it works perfectly, judging by some of the trouble others have had, i am very lucky LOL.

I did really want to put it on a DVD before i installed it, but the one opportunity i found that i had to pause the Install, I MISSED IT.

So would i be able to Download it again FOR FREE and then make sure i get the image onto a DVD before i do anything else ?.

tim

Reaction score
Unfortunately I found this isn't the case as you will just get an error when trying to re download the file, once Lion is installed it then deletes the installer, but creates a hidden recovery partition on the hard drive, containing OS X utilities and the option to re install Lion, should you need to. This is accessible, by pressing both CMD and R together, when you first turn your machine on.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
fair enough pal, thanks. with hindsight i realise now that i was given a menu (with 4 options), that gave me the option to goto the disk utility, of course in the same menu was the option to start installation !!!. what a plonker i was, forewarned is forearmed they say, perhaps other folk will read this and/or learn for themselves how to do it properly, i didn't !

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
If you have just the one Mac of any sort, then you are stuck as you acknowledge and MadGamer says.

If now or whenever, you have another Mac, in the App Store click on "Purchases" and you will get as many free installers as you have Macs.

Perhaps not much use to you now, sorry, but for the future, maybe?

Ian

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
If you have just the one Mac of any sort, then you are stuck as you acknowledge and MadGamer says.

If now or whenever, you have another Mac, in the App Store click on "Purchases" and you will get as many free installers as you have Macs.

Perhaps not much use to you now, sorry, but for the future, maybe?

Ian

Thanks buddy, quite right, say it like it is, i am a perlonker......

ps. i will only have/need one Mac, my better half has an iPad2, i agree it WAS far more natural (for me, anyway) scrolling with Snow Leopard on the trackpad, I can handle the Touchscreen of iPad scrolling differently.

tim

Reaction score
I found this on another board. Try this to redownload Lion.

"I finally figured it out. You need to quit the App Store, reopen it, and without doing anything else, hold the option key and click Purchases. Lion should then be downloadable again for free."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Actually up to 5, just like any other software from the MAS.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
Actually up to 5, just like any other software from the MAS.

Cheers buddy yet another couple of options, thanks a million, all of you.

tim,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
Along with my MBP, I have a iMac Intel, so if I log my wife out of the account, log me in, then go to the App store, I can download Lion for the iMac, or do I have to once again purchase it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Along with my MBP, I have a iMac Intel, so if I log my wife out of the account, log me in, then go to the App store, I can download Lion for the iMac, or do I have to once again purchase it?

You just need to use your Apple ID when you log into the MAS on her computer and you'll see under purchased, that you can download it again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.