Running El Capitan--weary of upgrading to Sierra--Please Help

Reaction score
Hello, I'm on a rMbp 16GB Ram I7, I'm honestly tired of seeing the Sierra upgrade window whenever I'm in the app store..and new is new I guess. Has anyone run into any problems with Sierra, running a similar setup as me? Any slowdowns or sluggish behavior? Battery life? WIFI/NEtwork Problems? Does it use more memory than El Cap? Thanks for your help and my apologies if this has been covered before.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Sierra has been out for a while now. If there were still high problems with slowdowns and sluggish behavior there would be a general uproar all over the web. Sierra handles memory as well as, and perhaps better than, El Capitan. With 16 BG and an i7 processor I doubt you'll have a problem.

OP
K
Reaction score
Sierra has been out for a while now. If there were still high problems with slowdowns and sluggish behavior there would be a general uproar all over the web. Sierra handles memory as well as, and perhaps better than, El Capitan. With 16 BG and an i7 processor I doubt you'll have a problem.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'm honestly tired of seeing the Sierra upgrade window whenever I'm in the app store..

You should be able to command or option click on the annoying Sierra upgrade button that will hide it from showing.

I don't recall the exact method but try a google search if needed, that's where I found it. At least it's worked with various in-you-face annoyance upgrades and no sign of Sierra in my Mavericks App Store.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Don't hide it go for it with your i7 as suggested. it is a faster operating system, like a version II of El Capo.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Even if you aren't ready to make the jump now download the file, stop the installation, and keep the downloaded file. That will make it easier to install if you choose to install it later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Even if you aren't ready to make the jump now download the file, stop the installation, and keep the downloaded file. That will make it easier to install if you choose to install it later.

+1.

And maybe move it out from the Applications folder for "safer: keeping.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't hide it go for it with your i7 as suggested. it is a faster operating system, like a version II of El Capo.

It should be faster, and just "like a version II of "El Capo"", both have removed several features that at least Mavericks has and kept. And I believe Mavericks was the last OS X version to still have them.

But in my experience and for what I do with my 2011 iMac, I didn't find Sierra faster or any better than Mavericks at all.

Just saying… different performance for some…

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's been a while since Mavericks for me and I've slept once or twice since then. Which features are you thinking of?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not with that slow old black drive.

It vis now the 21st Century Patrick. Get into PCI-e storage. Read and write speeds into nthe 2,000 marks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's been a while since Mavericks for me and I've slept once or twice since then. Which features are you thinking of?

I knew I should have been making and keeping a list Slydude, but haven't bothered.

One really annoying main loss is Mail, in Classic mode no longer will highlight all linked email messages as it does with Mavericks.

Another for some reason is I cannot get access to a java based webcam site I often visit, even doing a trash all java and reinstalling. It just will not work on my iMac and I don't know why not.

There are several thing that finally make me boot back and use Mavericks, so I'll make note the next time I try using Sierra as to what they are.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not with that slow old black drive.

It vis now the 21st Century Patrick. Get into PCI-e storage. Read and write speeds into nthe 2,000 marks.

Absolutely no need to thanks harryb, nearly everything I need and do works more than fast enough for me thanks. Like just a few seconds to open most apps and almost split seconds to open most small files I might use.

Maybe it's my maintenance, but I dare say it's much faster than some user's newer iMacs and with their SSD installed that I've encountered. Some of them were even sluggish and quite slow when I've used them.

- Patrick
======

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
First, I have 5 1TB WD blacks in my different Macs and PC's and they are the most reliable drives I have ever owned.

Not to disagree but Mavericks on both my Maxed out late 2007 and even faster 2008 iMac ran out of RAM all the time with just 2 tabs open. El Capitan on the same systems flys in comparison and I never run out of RAM. I realise there were a few things after Mavericks that went away but I am so used to not having them it does not bug me.

Sierra is for sure faster here on every Mac I own that will run it.

The only thing I really miss since Mavericks is the older Jobs 3d Look. Sorry, I really liked it better but again I have gotten used to the new FLAT look! :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You won't convince Patrick Dennis.

Reaction score
You should have no problems running Sierra. I ran Sierra on a old 2010 Mackbook (base white plastic chassis) with only a 8GB RAM and a 256GB SSD so you will have no problem. I found Sierra run nicely and is worth the upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not to disagree but Mavericks on both my Maxed out late 2007 and even faster 2008 iMac ran out of RAM all the time with just 2 tabs open.

Hmmm…odd. Maybe we run different apps or do much different things but I don't think I ever come close to using all of the 20GB RAM on my 2011 27" iMac. At least according to Activity Monitor memory use.

- Patrick
======

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You won't convince Patrick Dennis.

If you're referring to me using WD Black HDDs harry, you're on the wrong train and the wrong tracks as I've been using them as replacement drives for years, both 2.5" and 3.5" versions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As for the OP, I didn't notice any suggestion to add a partition if needed and install Sierra onto it and Migrate any user stuff if they want to check out how it works for their use.

Just a thought, then the older OS X will still be available if they don't like it.

There seem to be quite a few posts on the web for some users asking How to downgrade from macOS Sierra back to OS X
… (add version here)… :Smirk:

Regardless, make sure one has a current backup!!!

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I remember what Randy Singer said about hard drives. It seems that there are fewer and fewer makers of hard drives. I believe WD has pretty much bought up most of the hard drive makers that we remember. Anyway, today I bought a Seagate Platinum ultra slim 1 TB on sale at Staples so I could run the High Sierra beta with it. The public beta should be released in several weeks.

I was going to buy a LaCie TB drive until I found out that they use 5400 RPM units in them. I guess that's why they're so cheap.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.