iwork 09 identifying family pack vs single user

Reaction score
I've purchased a family pack iwork 09. When I got it home I noticed that nowhere on the disk or packaging does it say family pack. The DVD says "Install DVD" Mac Box set. Version 9.0." How does Apple distinguish between family packs and single user copies?

I'm trying to load legit copies on three different computers and am curious about this. Can someone shed some light on that?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It will say on the packaging for sure.

You can also read the Eula from the disc itself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
OP
D
Reaction score
added info for

It was purchased off E-bay where it was advertised as a Family Pack. (Have mercy on me on that one.) The iWork 09 package was never opened, but I can't find anywhere where on the packaging or on the original disk where it indicates whether its a single user copy or a family pack.

Where on the DVD or in the installed software does Apple indicate whether or not you have a single or a family licensed product? For that matter I haven't been able to find a registration number either, if that matters at all.

I have no reason to believe I haven't got the family pack, but now I'm curious as to how people prove that they have legit copies???

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It was purchased off E-bay where it was advertised as a Family Pack. (Have mercy on me on that one.) The iWork 09 package was never opened, but I can't find anywhere where on the packaging or on the original disk where it indicates whether its a single user copy or a family pack.

You were scammed. You were sold a family pack but was given a single install licensed package. Did you use PayPal or a credit card? Ask for a refund and if the seller refuses with some lame excuse, file a complaint and claim with PayPal or eBay.

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
I'll ask the family pack I purchased and depending on the response will know which way to go from there. Thanks for all the advice and the decent way it was given.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Only Family Pack I have in front of me is 10.5 Leopard. It's in really small writing on the box but it does say Family Pack. It was so small and subtle at first it took me a while to find it! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Only Family Pack I have in front of me is 10.5 Leopard. It's in really small writing on the box but it does say Family Pack. It was so small and subtle at first it took me a while to find it! :D

And how does it "behave" when you put it in to install one of the licenses? That info could really help the OP determine the answer sought. Are there three "keys" to choose from or something similar?

OP
D
Reaction score

toMACsh

I've now installed it on 2 machines. No problems at all. The only reason I asked was being a former PC user I was used to serial numbers, etc. With the Mac I haven't run into that. Maybe it's more of an honor system, which I appreciate and was trying to do my part. Love the Macs and will never go back to a PC again! Thanks for your question.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I think that the "Family Pack" products are pretty much the honor system just like the single user licenses. No serial numbers, no codes, no registration keys!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've now installed it on 2 machines. No problems at all. ... Maybe it's more of an honor system, which I appreciate and was trying to do my part.

Perhaps it is the honor system, see below (and above!). Since you've installed it, you had to click through a licensing agreement screen. Did you learn anything from reading that?

I think that the "Family Pack" products are pretty much the honor system just like the single user licenses. No serial numbers, no codes, no registration keys!

...meaning you could install the software on as many computers as you want to. The question is whether or not you want to.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think that the "Family Pack" products are pretty much the honor system just like the single user licenses. No serial numbers, no codes, no registration keys! - Nick

That's right. If the notation (Family Pack) was not on the box or package anywhere, the OP was sold a single license. He can install it easy enough on more than one machine because of Apple's honor system but that of course doesn't mean it's right.

As advised, he needs to contact the seller and ask for a refund. Or contact PayPal, eBay, whatever, and post a claim.

Regards.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If the notation (Family Pack) was not on the box or package anywhere, the OP was sold a single license. He can install it easy enough on more than one machine because of Apple's honor system but that of course doesn't mean it's right.

Hopefully I wasn't misunderstood.:(

When I mentioned that the number of installs for iWork 09 was via the "honor system"...my message was if someone has a single user license iWork should only be installed on 1 computer...and if someone has the "Family Pack"...iWork shouldn't be installed on more than 5 computers from one Family Pack disk license.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hopefully I wasn't misunderstood.

You weren't. I was reminding the OP that just because he may have paid for a family pack and now finds out he only has a single license, is no reason to install it multiple times.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if someone has the "Family Pack"...iWork shouldn't be installed on more than 5 computers ...

... in the same household ...

Carry on! :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
... in the same household ...

Carry on! :)

Just for the record, in the same household also applies to family members away at College/Universities.

To answer your earlier question, OSX has never used a key. I sincerely hope people do NOT take advantage of that or maybe someday OSX will be like Vista with Product Activation and having to reactivate when certain hardware is updated in a system. God forbid that ever happen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just for the record, in the same household also applies to family members away at College/Universities.

Yes, and I believe it also applies to unrelated persons living at the same address. But, in that case, someone is "renting" because only one person will walk away with the disc. Thus, that person should be asked to pay a larger share, or refund the other users' shares when they depart.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, and I believe it also applies to unrelated persons living at the same address. But, in that case, someone is "renting" because only one person will walk away with the disc. Thus, that person should be asked to pay a larger share, or refund the other users' shares when they depart.

That's correct. Pretty generous EULA in my opinion compared to Microsoft's.

Here's a direct quote from the Apple EULA:

B. Family Pack. If you have purchased a Mac OS X Family Pack, this License allows you to install and use one (1) copy of the Apple Software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-labeled computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that same household. By "household" we mean a person or persons who share the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home or condominium, but shall also extend to student members who are primary residents of that household but residing at a separate on-campus location. The Family Pack License does not extend to business or commercial users.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.