How to Copy/Paste URL (file path) for files and folders?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Where can I find the URL or File Path for selected files or folders in a format that can be copied and pasted? I see the complete URL listed in Get Info under Where, but it won't copy.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Where can I find the URL or File Path for selected files or folders in a format that can be copied and pasted? I see the complete URL listed in Get Info under Where, but it won't copy.

Thanks!

This is a wierd suggestion, but if you drag'n'drop any of your selected files or folders into the reply to thread box (the one I'm in right now) it translates them into the File Path, which is then able to be copied/pasted.

That's the only way I could find.

OP
VegasGeorge
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Brilliant, Pulse-8! I would have never thought of that. If you drag any file into any open browser window, the complete URL for that file shows up in the Address Bar (please excuse my use of Windows terminology, I'm new!) So, I went deep into the file tree and picked a file. drug into my open Firefox browser window, and Schazam!, I got:
file:///Users/George/Library/Application%20Support/Firefox/Profiles/2jp6kgbn.default/chrome/userChrome.css

The complete URL for the userChrome.scc file. How cool is that? :D

Reaction score
Brilliant, Pulse-8! I would have never thought of that. If you drag any file into any open browser window, the complete URL for that file shows up in the Address Bar (please excuse my use of Windows terminology, I'm new!) So, I went deep into the file tree and picked a file. drug into my open Firefox browser window, and Schazam!, I got:
file:///Users/George/Library/Application%20Support/Firefox/Profiles/2jp6kgbn.default/chrome/userChrome.css

I dragged them into the reply box that come up when you reply to a thread, which does the same. But I didn't know about the path showing up in the URL bar....very nifty.

I did know that you could drag stuff to an open browser window, like to view animated avatars and stuff.

Overall, it's a great result and a collaborative one!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I dragged them into the reply box that come up when you reply to a thread, which does the same. But I didn't know about the path showing up in the URL bar....very nifty.

Won't do it in URL bar for me. OS 10.5.8 Safari 4.0.5

But it does work in the Reply box. Great tip! That's where I'd want it anyway. I can't think of another situation when I've wanted to be able to do that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

That works for the url bar in firefox but not for the forum reply box. It just opens up the folder/file in the browser if you try the forum reply box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You can also copy/paste into most text documents. There are also Finder plugins and automator applets such as pathsnagger and getfilepath that will do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Open a plain text document and just drag in a folder or document icon from the finder to reveal the file's path.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
This is one of those great threads, where I learn a couple of things that I didn't! Wicked :D
Also one of this threads where I wonder why the banned member was banned, but that's just for my curiosity to go wild with, rather than learning something there LOL :/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Open a plain text document and just drag in a folder or document icon from the finder to reveal the file's path.

I opened a TextEdit document, and dragged an Excel file into it. All I got was the Excel icon in the document. Not that it should matter, but Excel and Finder windows open in separate Spaces. So I had to drag the Finder window over into the Excel Space first.

I have already been using the "drag to Reply box" on this Forum. Great tip! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think you'll also need to be in plain text mode if you use textedit...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was in Rich Text. I switched to Plain Text and got the same result. I didn't quit after making the switch. Maybe I'll try again when I get time. Dinner is served!!!

Mmmm! Good dinner!

Yeah, it worked after restarting TextEdit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.