Was about to buy the new MBP13 until I saw the brand new updated white macbook

Reaction score
Okay, so I've never owned a macbook or anything from apple. Just my ipod lol. This girl who used to tutor me in math (yes, I'm horrible at math) bought the 13' MBP this summer and after seeing it 2 times a week during the whole summer, I fell in love with it. So I told myself I would save enough money and get it by the end of the year. So after a few months of saving up for it, I have roughly $1,500 to spend on one. I thought I would go for the low end model but then I found out Apple had just released a new, updated version of the white macbook. After looking at the specs, I saw the low end MBP13 and the new White macbook had pretty much the same specs.

The macbook has the same processing speed as the MBP13 (2.26GHz) and a bigger hard drive (250 GB)

So having said that, should I just go for the white Macbook instead of the MBP13? It would save me $200 and they're relatively the same...
I would just be using it for listening to music, downloading/watching videos, surfing, and occasionally playing the sims 3 haha but other than that, it's probably the only game i'll be playing.

I was also thinking, since apple just refreshed the macbook's specs and they're pretty similar to the MBP13, wont they also be updating the MBP13 specs too? Because if they are, I'd hate to buy a macbook and then realize a week later new Macbook pro's came out. If they WERE to update them, wouldn't it be around Dec? Since it'll be christmas and all...

Anyways, any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated. If you have one of the new macbooks or a macbook pro 13' and wanna share anything with me, I'd like to hear it too.

Thanks and hope to hear your guys' feedback.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
If you need one now then buy now. If not then wait for them to update the MBPs.

The update is not going to be anything big, mostly likely a speed bump and some other feature.

The screens on the MBPs are of higher quality. If you don't care about a backlit keyboard, firewire, sd card slot...and having audio in and out separate from each other then get the MB.

Reaction score
First of all, i think nobody other than maybe steve job himself can gaurentee an update. This is entirely a decision made by apple.

About the laptop, the specs are really the same, unless you really need firewire, SD card slot, and backlight keyboard in the macbook pro.

in the end its all about the looks.

you need to deal with the conseqences that follows. macbook pro can dent, scratch easily. Macbook (we are talking about the new one released just this month) can get dirty quite easily, also scratches, but maybe less obvious.

its all about which you find more pleasing. the macbook pro is really a luxury high-end line, while the macbook is a fun energetic, take it anywhere, bang it, kinda laptop for college students to chuck around, yanno what i mean?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Unibody Macbook (end 2009)
If you don't care about a backlit keyboard, firewire, sd card slot...and having audio in and out separate from each other then get the MB.

Both Macbook and Macbook Pro 13 have combined audio in/out, I believe only the 15" and 17" ones have them separate from each other.

There is talk of a MBP refresh before xmas, but nobody will know until they actually get released, it could well be 2010 even!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Historically, the Fall update is usually done in October and/or November. I remember back in 2006 before I bought my Macbook the Macbook Pro was updated in October and the regular Macbook was updated in November. Not sure exactly what order it was in 2007 and 2008, but this year it looks like the Macbook Pro update should be coming in November.

OP
Eddie513
Reaction score
Hmm.. maybe I should wait then. I want to see if they release any updated MBP's this Nov. If not, then I'll just go ahead and buy one. I don't exactly need one right away anyways. It's just my stupid vaio computer is really giving me a headache. But it'll have to do for another month or so...

This would be my first laptop I'd ever own if I actually went ahead and bought it. What do you guys mean when you talk about firewire?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Firewire

To summarize the article: it's an alternative to USB. Mostly used by camcorders but you can find all sorts of devices that use it, from external sound cards to external hard drives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad
Hmm.. maybe I should wait then. I want to see if they release any updated MBP's this Nov. If not, then I'll just go ahead and buy one. I don't exactly need one right away anyways. It's just my stupid vaio computer is really giving me a headache. But it'll have to do for another month or so...

This would be my first laptop I'd ever own if I actually went ahead and bought it. What do you guys mean when you talk about firewire?
Apple just said no more releases this year....

I love my white macbook had a pro and really hated the glass and black keys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2005 G4 Mini & 2014 Mini & 2020 M1 Mini
Sounds like you're unsure. I say wait till just before Christmas. Then decide.

OP
Eddie513
Reaction score
Apple just said no more releases this year....

Where did you get that from?
I guess the only true reason I wanted a MBP13 was because it "looked nice" and have enough money for it. But if the new macbook is almost the same then I should probably just settle for that one. Although the SD card slot and backlit keyboard on the MBP do sound appealing. I deff would use the SD card slot. Agh. I am so indecisive over things.

I hope that in the end i dont just end up spending all my money on some other thing. A habit, i always do. It took me like 3 months to save for it because I kept spending my money on other stuff haha. Lame.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
You could always buy a refurbished 13 inch macbook pro, save 200 bucks that way, and with like 80-100 bucks of the extra cash, buy a 500GB HDD and put that in the pro. Problem solved, and you still get the nice assurance of an aluminum case. Or better yet, say the heck with getting a macbook pro, and get a refurbished aluminum macbook with a faster processor and 250GB hdd for 999.

Refurbished MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Aluminum - Apple Store (U.S.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Although it was stated no new products that does not mean that the existing
line could not see a speed bump think i5 and i7 as in the iMAC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Seems to me that you're quite enamored with the Macbook Pro. I would suggest getting that model instead of the white Macbook as I'm sure regret will set in not long after your purchase. You'll always wonder why you never got the laptop you really wanted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I still vote refurb 2.4GHz aluminum MacBook. Faster processor, backlit keyboard, 250GB HDD...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad
Where did you get that from?
I guess the only true reason I wanted a MBP13 was because it "looked nice" and have enough money for it. But if the new macbook is almost the same then I should probably just settle for that one. Although the SD card slot and backlit keyboard on the MBP do sound appealing. I deff would use the SD card slot. Agh. I am so indecisive over things.

I hope that in the end i dont just end up spending all my money on some other thing. A habit, i always do. It took me like 3 months to save for it because I kept spending my money on other stuff haha. Lame.
front page Mac rumors..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
front page Mac rumors..

Link please? I'd like to know what the author's source is. Mac-Rumors by itself isn't a reputable enough source in determining Apple strategy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Says no new Apple products. Doesn't rule out the possibility of a small speed bump for the Macbook Pros.

Reaction score
Just buy one! You won't regret it even if they release a new one. Using a mac is 10x better than any PC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.