Microsoft Office 2011 update

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Microsoft has just issued a security update for Office 2011 = 14.4.1. The update is critical and should be installed as soon as possible. You can select "check for updates" right from within Office of just open any Office 2011 application and wait a bit for the update notification to appear.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
So it "skips" from 14.3.9 to 14.4.1 ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Yep. I had just upgraded to 2011 quite recently. I guess I got in closer to the latest update than the previous one. Downloaded and installed. Thanks for the heads up. I just did it rather than wait for MS AutoUpdate to run on schedule, as I'm taking a 6 day trip starting around the middle of next week.

Reaction score
Microsoft’s Mac Office 11 Ransomware

Microsoft has finally decided that ransomeware is a viable business proposition. Yesterday when I opened Excel, MS’s Autoupdate Window opened and advised me that there was an update available. I had seen this notice several times before but hadn’t taken time do update. Yesterday, I did. When the update was complete, I gained opened Excel to continue with my work. Imagine my surprise when a window opened asking me to buy Office, enter a product key or see an existing file read only. I selected see a file and when Excel opened the splash screen showed my name but not my product key. I was able to see the file but could not make changes of any sort.

Being aware of M$’s superior support, I went on line and ended up with a phone call to a foreign country. The pleasant young lady redirected my call to the Macintosh Office support center where I was told that because I had updated Office 11 of course I would nee to renter the product key. Since I have owned and used Office 11 on this computer since very late 2010 and updated both OS X and Office 11 numerous times I was somewhat taken aback. The further explanation was due to having purchased Office 11 from a 3rd party vendor (long gone) and having upgraded OS X my product code no longer was available to Office.

Somewhere in the past 5 years, including a couple of work moves, I have lost the original Office packaging with the product key. My friendly M$ support lady told me, essentially, “Tough. Go buy a new product code.” because the vendor from whom I purchased the product was gone and because I no longer had the packaging.

Why is this ransomware? First, to access and use my existing files, I must pay a ransom to M$ in the form of an additional Office purchase. Secondly, there was no warning or other notice that implementing the upgrade would cause the loss of my product key. And, third, since my original vendor was gone, there was no was I could be helped.

Please post if you have had a similar experience. This kind of theft by a major software vendor must not go un-noticed. Security is one thing, this kind of rip-off another.

-Phil Jackson, San Antonio, TX.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why is this ransomware? First, to access and use my existing files, I must pay a ransom to M$ in the form of an additional Office purchase. Secondly, there was no warning or other notice that implementing the upgrade would cause the loss of my product key. And, third, since my original vendor was gone, there was no was I could be helped.

I have lost the original Office packaging with the product key.

So, you're blaming MS for your own carelessness? All commercial software that requires activation or a serial number key in order for it to be used works the same way. How is MS supposed to know whether or not you have a legal copy of MS Office 2011?

Download the free Open Office or Libre Office which can read and write to all your Office 2011 files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Theft? MS has not deprived you of your goods by fraud, deception or carrying away. You have lost it.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@Flip-200F Sorry to hear about the difficulty. Something odd is happening here. I have both Office 2011 and the preview version of the next release. I currently have the most recent update but haven't experienced the issue you describe.

Reaction score
I long ago learned to keep all that kind of information in a safe place, in three ways: All discs and packaging goes into a plastic box with a lid, one box for each device. And I write down all registration and serial number info in an encrypted information system, eg 1Password. And I keep copies of registration emails and scanned receipts in a hard drive file folder with multiple backups. Saved me grief many times. Especially with MS Office.

Reaction score
Thank you for the heads-up regarding the MS Office for Mac 2011 update.
I've not bothered to install Outlook but have Word, Excel and PowerPoint and these are all saying 14.5.1.
In the original post, chscag refers to 14.4.1; I'm a bit confused over these numbers. Can I assume that my package (purchased from MS in May 2015) is indeed the up-to-date version.
Thanks in advance.
M

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just checked my version of word and it is listed as 14.5.0. I think you have the most recent versions of those programs. The Office 2016 set I am testing has version number 15.0.

Member chscag started this thread a little more than a year ago. At that time 14.4.1 was the current version.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In the original post, chscag refers to 14.4.1; I'm a bit confused over these numbers. Can I assume that my package (purchased from MS in May 2015) is indeed the up-to-date version.

Thanks in advance.

As was pointed out, this thread dates back a year. The current version of Office 2011 is now 14.5.1. Just make sure you have automatic updates turned on and to check for updates daily, and you should have no problem staying up to date.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sly you have an update to do. Mine reads version 14.5.1.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For some reason that update hasn't shown up for me yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well it is obvious Charley and I are on better terms with MS than some!!!! How very unusual. Maybe the Texans are keeping you guys out of the water?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know I know. It goes over the head of Canadians.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Not really, but we can't help it if you're usually a day ahead of us either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I also had to enter my product code when I updated recently to 4.5.1. I have updated in the past and had not been asked. I found it very unusually as I have never been asked on any PC when I have updated.

It wasn't a problem as I keep all product keys, license numbers etc in an encrypted file. I wondered if it was a way for Microsoft to wipe out illegal installs. When I purchased my MB Pro used off eBay it came with all kinds of "free included" apps of which Office 2011 was one. Since I did a clean install and wiped it, I didn't really care what was included.

Been around this rodeo a long time and I have found illegal or pirated software/apps in the end is not worth it.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.