Mac-Forumers I need your help... Please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Hello everyone,

I've been away from the forums for a while, but now am back and I am in need of your help.

As some of you know I work for a Major Healthcare Company. Currently they are giving out DELL Laptops to all employes, BUT I was talking to some guys in out HQ IT Department and they would love to switch us to Mac, especially after I told them I use my MacBook for a most of my paper work and some other stuff.

They asked me to put my suggestions in an email so that they can present it out to the company and hopefully switch us out to Apple.

So after this long intro, here are my questions to you:

1. We heavily use a program called Humming Bird to connect our laptops directly to most of the MRIs and Cat-Scaners for FTPing of files and software patches. What is a good equivalent to that on Mac OS X?

2. I know there are tons of VPN clients, the one that we use is through CISCO, I thought I read somewhere that there is a Mac version for it but I am not sure. Can someone confirm?

3. I actually never tested this but how easy is it to use the MacBook to telnet to a device on the same network? We would be using that every now and again. I am actually thinking about testing out soon. but if someone can shed some light on it that would be splendid.

Those are the main 3 questions for now. I still see Macs making a better computers for our field specially with all the HIPA regulations and security issues that we keep running into with Windows in general.

Please give me your feedback and shed some light on those points.

MMM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
HEY! I know you! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1. We heavily use a program called Humming Bird to connect our laptops directly to most of the MRIs and Cat-Scaners for FTPing of files and software patches. What is a good equivalent to that on Mac OS X?

Is Hummingbird an ftp client? Versiontracker has a list of what's out there. A couple of the better ones for OS X are:
Yummy FTP
Transmit

Check out the reviews on VersionTracker... you can usually find good feedback on most software there.

2. I know there are tons of VPN clients, the one that we use is through CISCO, I thought I read somewhere that there is a Mac version for it but I am not sure. Can someone confirm?

A brief Google search seems to confirm it:
http://www.mcmaster.ca/uts/network/vpn/macosx.html
VersionTracker has a list of some related software.

3. I actually never tested this but how easy is it to use the MacBook to telnet to a device on the same network? We would be using that every now and again. I am actually thinking about testing out soon. but if someone can shed some light on it that would be splendid.

I'm no pro, but the terminal should be well suited to this. Just have to ensure firewall settings allow it, I do believe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.

Hi MMM!!!!

You've got to promise that if you read my response, you'll show yourself around here more often. Otherwise, you can't read it. ^_^ (Okay, you can still read it, but feel free to visit any time!)

1. If you're talking about Hummingbird Exceed, you can use "Chicken of the VNC". Folks at my company used to use Exceed. Now they use CotVNC. I use it whenever I connect to our lab Linux/Solaris machines.

2. I use Cisco Systems VPN Client version 4.9.01 (0100). It works like a champ on my Leopard machine.

3. You can telnet to anything running a telnet daemon. Open the Terminal application and telnet away.

Hope this helps!

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Mathogre,

Thanks a heck of a lot for this info.

Yes I was talking about Humming Bird Exceed. I will check out CotVNC. Also thanks for the info on Cisco VPN and Telnet.

I promise I will come and visit more often. I've been crazy busy putting in the First 3T MRI in Western NC. And it was one heck of an Install.

Thanks again.

M

MacHeadCase

Hey Mina ! Where have you been ?! :D

Good to see you back. You are back, aren't you ? :eek:

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey MHC... Of course I am back. BUT Who said that I ever left ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've been crazy busy putting in the First 3T MRI in Western NC. And it was one heck of an Install.

*eyes bulge out*

A 3T??? Holy cow.. I thought those were a myth! I can already feel my fillings being tugged on in your direction. :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3

I must shed a little bit a light on this aspect since we use telnet on our mac station at work everyday. For us we have a telnet server on a unix system that serves us our parts catalog. The catalog seems to work fine most of the time but sometimes we get this glitch where the telnet screen wants to move the text to the next line when the terminal should be keeping it in place. There may be a way to stop this but I just wanted you to know this little glitch can become very annoying especially when you've got a long input in your telnet.

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Miles,

Thanks for your input, I will keep that in mind. Our use for Telnet would be only to run a couple of lines of Script no more. All our MR & CT scanners are Unix and the newer ones are Linux.

I appreciate your help.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.