Upgrade MBP to Snow Leopord with external USB HD?

Reaction score
I've been told it's not possible to use a USB drive to boot from and I've read that it can be done on a few different websites. I have the .dmg Snow Leopard file on the external USB HD and want to upgrade my MBP. Can I do this and if so, what do I need to do first to prepare for it (partitioning and such). I've never done anything like this so speak to me like a child!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Where did the DMG of Snow Leopard come from?

OP
J
Reaction score
Pulled from the DVD using another computer. My DVD drive is not working on my MBP and I was hoping to find a way to upgrade without it. Every time I try to put a DVD in, it sounds like it is trying to read it but eventually just spits it out over and over. What does that have to do with being able to use it from the hard drive? Does it need to be pulled from the DVD in a certain way?

OP
J
Reaction score
Why did you ask me a question if you weren't going to respond or help? :Confused:

Gotta love mods.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Why did you ask me a question if you weren't going to respond or help? :Confused:

Gotta love mods.

Mods have lives also. I asked a question to get it started and knew someone else would answer based on your answer which they did.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just to be sure, this is an Intel Mac correct? It's older G4 Macs that will not boot from USB. Never tried a USB boot on my Intel Mac but I read about it all the time.

And another reason for asking is Snow Leopard only will install on an Intel Mac.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Just to be sure, this is an Intel Mac correct? It's older G4 Macs that will not boot from USB. Never tried a USB boot on my Intel Mac but I read about it all the time.

Is it sad that I can boot from my iPod if my machine ever did crash? >_>"

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
J
Reaction score
Mods have lives also. I asked a question to get it started and knew someone else would answer based on your answer which they did.

If you're going to basically accuse me of illegally downloading the copy of Snow Leopard, the least you could do is wait the two minutes it took for me to respond to your "question"..

Anyway, I did find something that broke it down step by step for me and have updated now. Thanks for the helps folks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD
If you're going to basically accuse me of illegally downloading the copy of Snow Leopard, the least you could do is wait the two minutes it took for me to respond to your "question"..

Anyway, I did find something that broke it down step by step for me and have updated now. Thanks for the helps folks.

I don't think he accused you of anything. He just asked a question. There is no need to get upset when he was just trying to help.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was a general question. We DO get a lot of people here who never read the rules and do ask about pirating OSX though.

Glad you got it working.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
If you're going to basically accuse me of illegally downloading the copy of Snow Leopard. . .

What? Where did you get that from?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
I thought that was a good question, I don't think people would normally use a .dmg of an operating system, more like an install disk.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That's an unfair response. Think about it from someone else's perspective - does it really look legit if someone is looking to use an image to install OS X considering there is no legal distribution method that includes downloading an image?

And no one accused you of illegally pirating OS X. At no point did dtravis7 nor anyone else actually accuse you of pirating OS X. Asking you where you got the image from was a legitimate technical question. If it was a legal copy, there is much to consider. For instance, OS X isn't traditionally installed this way and much can go wrong during image creation.

Perhaps you should take a step back next time and think about how your post will be received before becoming defensive at the slightest bit of resistance (which wasn't all that resistive anyway). Also, again in defence of dtravis7, questions are asked as a means of eliciting more information because you forgot to provide enough in the first place. Would you want a doctor to prescribe you drugs right away without asking you some questions to clarify your condition/illness? Questions are part of the process of providing answers and solutions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.