iChat won't Shut UP!

Reaction score
Hi People:

I've used iChat on several occasions just fine. Today, for whatever reason, it's reading all messages sent to me out loud. I tried Edit > Speech -- but that's as far as I got because the options to Start Speaking and to Stop Speaking are both grayed out.

Any ideas? I don't know what setting I must have changed to make this happen but it's really driving me crazy.

Please help and much thanks.

Keith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
First, why are you using iChat and not Adium? I highly recommend checking the latter out.

Second, have you gone into system prefs>universal access and seen whats going on there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
have you gone into system prefs>universal access and seen whats going on there?

If Voice Over is on, you'd be seeing little black boxes around text that you highlight, I think...

OP
K
Reaction score
No black boxes, so I guess it's not a voice over issue. I have gone into Sys Prefs but I'm not sure what could be causing iChat (alone) to talk to me. I'm guessing if it were some sort of Universal Access / Assistance kind of thing, it would affect more than just iChat.

Still, I don't understand why the options to Turn Speech Off or On are grayed out while I'm using iChat. Doesn't compute.

It's little issues like these that continue to pop up since I've become a Mac user (back in December) than make me wonder if this thing really does "just work."

:(

C

chas_m

Either you have "speak announcements" checked under "Alerts", or you have "Start Speaking" turned on under the "Edit" menu.

OP
K
Reaction score
Hey chas_m:

Thanks for the info. Since Start Speaking is grayed out (as well as Stop Speaking), I don't think that's it. But I will check the Alerts to see if I've got that item checked. That could be the problem.

Thanks again.
Keith

Reaction score
iChat does not include popups in the basic capabilities. The popups are being generated from a program like Growl. Check: System Preference > Other for add-on programs. If you have Growl. Check: Growl > Applications. I installed Chax and the popups started. I went into Chax in Growl and disabled all the notifications. Problem solved!

Hope this helps!

Karl

Reaction score
If Voice Over is on, you'd be seeing little black boxes around text that you highlight, I think...

First, please forgive my total ignorance of this, or any other, MAC. My husband clicked "on something" and has no idea what he did, so now we have this irritating robot saying EVERY move of the mouse and/or typewritten word...pleaseeeee, I beg you, PLEASEEEEEE help me stop this totally annoying voice...I don't know HOW to go to system>>preferences b/c I'm MAC ignorant...no ability to turn speech on or off is possible in edit drop down...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Try pressing command+fn+F5 and see if it will stop.
Or go to your Applications folder and open System Preferences.
Then click on the Universal Access icon.
content

And turn off Voice Over
content

Reaction score
Try pressing command+fn+F5 and see if it will stop.
Or go to your Applications folder and open System Preferences.
Then click on the Universal Access icon.
content

And turn off Voice Over
content

If I didn't love my husband I think you'd be in trouble!! THANK YOU!! *MUAH*

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.