• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple's iCloud, Steve Jobs Set To Star At Next Week's WWDC

Reaction score
Apple's iCloud, Steve Jobs Set To Star At Next Week's WWDC

Apple's just revealed that Steve Jobs will be presenting the keynote at next week's WWDC event, and it will include the next Mac operating system, OS X Lion, the next iOS operating system, iOS 5, and the word everyone's been waiting for: iCloud.

apppleclouds111.png

Apple's next Mac operating system, OS X Lion, and the next iOS operating system, iOS 5, will both be revealed at the upcoming World Wide Developers conference--by none other than Steve Jobs--but it's the official release of its keenly anticipated cloud services effort, iCloud, that will most certainly snag the biggest spotlight.

Apple is in heavy prep mode forÂ*next week's WWDC, its premiere event for revealing new hardware and software. The next Mac operating system, OS X Lion, and the next iOS operating system, iOS 5, will both key features in its on-going battles with Microsoft and Google, over computers andÂ* smartphones, respectively. But the biggest news? CEO Steve Jobs is well enough, though still on medical leave, to present the keynote event himself on June 6th. And it's a single word that everyone in the tech world will be excited about: iCloud.

We've long suspected Apple would use the June event to reveal its plans to embrace cloud tech, which will presumably leverage its data center in North Carolina for the first time. The idea was given an extra spin over the last several weeks as first Amazon then Google revealed their cloud music locker systems and even made some early moves in the coming battle coming battle for consumers. We knewÂ*Apple was working on this, but hadn't finalized its systems yet--but it had made more successes than either of its competitors in securing record label support. We'd even heard it may be called iCloud, because Apple bought the domain to follow its usual iNaming habit.

We're presuming that iCloud will include a cloud-based music system to adapt iTunes for a streaming-centric future, along with a revamped MobileMe system which could be free, at least in part. But until next week (or until more data leaks out) we'll have to wait and see.

What we do know more about is that OS X Lion, vital for Apple's ongoing development of its core Mac business is going to get headline attention, along with the next big update to the iPhone and iPad's operating system iOS 5. Both of these are vital for Apple's future--particularly now that Macs are making more inroads into the PC market, and that Android's lead in the smartphone market place seems to have slowed.

And there's one more thing... or perhaps not. Will this decisive and surprisingly open reveal of next week's event details kill off any suggestion Apple will reveal the iPhone 5 (4S?) at the event? We think it should, but you never know.

[Image: Flickr user amber-rae]

Chat about this news with Kit Eaton on Twitter and Fast Company too.

47_CwvqXNnU

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB Pro 2010 13 inch
i hope for those of us that just renewed our Mobile Me, they will refund us or provide the services for free until renewal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
It'll be exciting to see the features of iCloud and probably get a glimpse at more features of Lion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
It'll be exciting to see the features of iCloud and probably get a glimpse at more features of Lion.

My thoughts exactly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I'm more excited to see what iOS 5 is going to offer.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I know one person around here who's going to be excited about iCloud ;).

I have to think that a considerable portion of that is not going to happen. Lion, iOS5, "iCloud" and potentially a new iPhone? That seems a bit much for a keynote at a developer's conference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
I know one person around here who's going to be excited about iCloud ;).

I have to think that a considerable portion of that is not going to happen. Lion, iOS5, "iCloud" and potentially a new iPhone? That seems a bit much for a keynote at a developer's conference.

Pretty much all the rumors say no new iPhone will be previewed this year at WWDC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.