shutting down suddenly takes way longer on my new MBP

Reaction score
i've just recently switched to mac and now a proud user of a macbook pro. One thing i've noticed, and really come to love was the quick shutdown, which only took seconds, which doesnt even reach 10. I've had it almost a week now, and i noticed yesterday and today that the shutdown takes way longer than it used to, almost around a minute. the only thing i've done before this change was install the software update (which i manually checked for). I was also "calibrating" my battery at the suggestion of the good people from mac to optimize the battery life of the laptop. also before installing the update, i got a warning that its best that i plug the laptop back in for better results, which i didnt do because i thought it would screw with the calibrating procedure, and i thought it was just a precautionary anyway.

could have something gone wrong with installation?or any of those events cause the slowdown? i can live with a 1 minute shutdown, a quic shutdown is not exactly vital, but i think it'd come in handy someday especially when on the go. I'm still such a noob at mac and thanks in advance for all your help :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP; 4GB RAM; 250GB HD
i've just recently switched to mac and now a proud user of a macbook pro. One thing i've noticed, and really come to love was the quick shutdown, which only took seconds, which doesnt even reach 10. I've had it almost a week now, and i noticed yesterday and today that the shutdown takes way longer than it used to, almost around a minute. the only thing i've done before this change was install the software update (which i manually checked for). I was also "calibrating" my battery at the suggestion of the good people from mac to optimize the battery life of the laptop. also before installing the update, i got a warning that its best that i plug the laptop back in for better results, which i didnt do because i thought it would screw with the calibrating procedure, and i thought it was just a precautionary anyway.

could have something gone wrong with installation?or any of those events cause the slowdown? i can live with a 1 minute shutdown, a quic shutdown is not exactly vital, but i think it'd come in handy someday especially when on the go. I'm still such a noob at mac and thanks in advance for all your help :D

I ran a manual check for updates two days ago & have noticed the same slow down during the boot process, as well as the shut down process. There were only 3 updates available, two of which were related to my printer drivers, and the 3rd update was the recent OS related security update. I just thought it was me being impatient with the machine.....but since the machine is less than a month old, I would hope that problems weren't starting this soon.

I can roll back the printer updates, but I am leary of rolling back the Apple security update.

Any ideas would be great....

OP
M
Reaction score
I ran a manual check for updates two days ago & have noticed the same slow down during the boot process, as well as the shut down process. There were only 3 updates available, two of which were related to my printer drivers, and the 3rd update was the recent OS related security update. I just thought it was me being impatient with the machine.....but since the machine is less than a month old, I would hope that problems weren't starting this soon.

I can roll back the printer updates, but I am leary of rolling back the Apple security update.

Any ideas would be great....

hmm yeah there was a security update, now that you mention it. hmm i'uno maybe the update requires the OS to do some more last minute stuff before it turns off, who knows. well at least its a little comforting to know that im not alone hehe..im just crossing my fingers that the next update will improve things.

C

chas_m

In my experience there are two things that cause a slow shutdown:

1. If you have a lot more RAM in the new machine than you did in the old one, that will increase shutdown time. Not by a huge amount, but a little.

2. If you're not really quitting all your apps (just "closing" them like a lot of switchers do), or if you have background things running that you're not fully aware of (coughP2Pcough), this will increase shutdown time as the Mac tries to shut them down for you. Some apps put up a fight against being shut down by the system.

So there's two areas you might want to look at.

OP
M
Reaction score

1. If you have a lot more RAM in the new machine than you did in the old one, that will increase shutdown time. Not by a huge amount, but a little.

2. If you're not really quitting all your apps (just "closing" them like a lot of switchers do), or if you have background things running that you're not fully aware of (coughP2Pcough), this will increase shutdown time as the Mac tries to shut them down for you. Some apps put up a fight against being shut down by the system.

hmm nope i didnt increase my RAM. and as for number 2, i really did try quitting everything before the shutdown, i even tried turning the laptop off immediate after i just turned it on to check, still the same *sigh*

C

chas_m

I notice you didn't rule out background processes. You can check "Activity Monitor" after all other apps are quit to see what's still playing in the background. You should expect to see a few things (printer background app, etc) but perhaps there will be something obviously not suppposed to be there.

You might also want to have a look at the log file via the Console application and see what's going on after the shutdown command is initiated. Could be enlightening.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP; 4GB RAM; 250GB HD

As for #1, since this is the 1st Mac I have ever owned, I really don't have anything to compare it to as far as shut down times (except for Windows shut down times). I did not transfer any documents, files, etc. over to the Mac, so there really isn't anything on there except for what came with the OS install. There is 4gb of RAM & a whole LOT of available HD space, so I would hope at this point that neither of those items would be a problem.

As for #2, I only use the Mail program, iChat & Firefox web browser. I do follow the proper quit process through the menu bar when exiting applications. Since Firefox is the only added install that I have done to this machine since it was delivered, it doesn't make a lot of sense that the thing is as sluggish as it is. It is quite concerning......brings back the nightmares I have about the other PC world that I have dealt with for so many years.

I guess if it doesn't sort itself out soon, I can always call Apple to find out what the deal is with the slow response time.

OP
M
Reaction score
I notice you didn't rule out background processes. You can check "Activity Monitor" after all other apps are quit to see what's still playing in the background. You should expect to see a few things (printer background app, etc) but perhaps there will be something obviously not suppposed to be there.

You might also want to have a look at the log file via the Console application and see what's going on after the shutdown command is initiated. Could be enlightening.

it seems like my last two shutdowns were quick again, and i really dont know why since i didnt do anything hehe . I'll just observe more to confirm. But thanks anyway for the advice, i'll try to keep those in mind for future reference. And i think you have a good point about the background processes, maybe i just didnt notice they were still running when i shutdown. Thanks again :D

Reaction score
I've been noticing similar slow shutdowns since the recent update also.

Just recently installed a brand new internal 500GB HD in late '06 MBP and installed a just purchased copy of snow leopard. Everything was running spectacular until this recent update.

Sometimes it will shut right down, but most of the time it ranges from 15 seconds to a minute.

I always quit all apps before shutting down. Activity monitor is normal.

Any other things to check into?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.