Left CMD stopped working with bottom row of keys

Reaction score
My left CMD key stopped working in combination with the key-row z x c v b n m, so I cannot use the shortcuts CMD-c CMD-v or CMD-b anymore.

However, other combinations work without problem (CMD-arrows, CMD-i or CMD-u, etc).

Only the left CMD key is affected - the right one works.

What could possibly be the reason?
Thank you!
E.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Spill anything on your keyboard lately or perhaps in the past?

OP
T
Reaction score
Yes, a few days ago a bit of water, but it was only a couple of drops, and only on the far right side of the keyboards (arrows keys, a bit of trackpad).

Could that be the cause? Is it a resolveable issue?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unfortunately even a few drops of water getting into the keyboard is enough to cause the problem you're having. Keep your machine turned upside down and allow it to dry out completely for a few days and try again. If you have the same problem after that, it may require changing out the keyboard.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies chscag. How can that problem be caused by a spill? Since every single key is working properly, that hardware seems to be all right? Or are specific key combinations really hardware and not software? I cannot really believe that to be the case.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Spills are unpredictable and can cause all sorts of strange things to happen especially when the spill is on the keyboard. Why do you think I asked you the question in the first place in my reply to you? We have a entire Sticky Thread devoted to spills which if you like, you can read through and get some idea of what other folks have experienced. You'll find that thread at the top of this forum.

OP
T
Reaction score
I did read that one before I posted, of course - but that weird interaction effects of one key + certain specific keys was not mentioned.

Seeing that - as far as I know - combinations of keys are not hardcoded, but done by software (which has to be the case, since you can remap keys), the problem I have cannot be a hardware problem. At least it wouldn't make any sense in the way I understand computers.

:[

C

chas_m

Seeing as how you're apparently drinking over your computer, you're probably also eating over it. So I suspect there's some crumbs that have worked their way into the computer as well.

OP
T
Reaction score
Seeing as how you're apparently drinking over your computer, you're probably also eating over it. So I suspect there's some crumbs that have worked their way into the computer as well.

Your speculation about my eating habits will surely help solve the problem, thank you.

Let me ask again: how does the keyboard work? I assume that each key goes down and if you press it, a signal is released. But that is not how a combination of keys work. If you push CMD and you push b at the same time, both signals are released individually, and the SOFTWARE determines that this makes something bold.

So how can a problem with specific combination of keystrokes possibly be caused by a spill?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
I did read that one before I posted, of course - but that weird interaction effects of one key + certain specific keys was not mentioned.

Seeing that - as far as I know - combinations of keys are not hardcoded, but done by software (which has to be the case, since you can remap keys), the problem I have cannot be a hardware problem. At least it wouldn't make any sense in the way I understand computers.

:[

Yes it is hardware. I have one that does it with shift t, g, and b. The issue is there is only so many lines run for keys in the keyboard, they basically work off combinations to determine which key you pressed. The QAZWSX and Command key all have 1 common line which has been compromised because of the spill either it has become fried or is shorting out.

Sometimes it is repairable, but it requires you to completely dissemble the keyboard (some macs you can even do this) to individual parts, clean everything and allow to air dry completely, then repair any damaged wire traces. Honestly, it is some much more worth it to replace the keyboard, I have repaired one successfully, but in the end it had to be replaced because I damaged the A key and it was now sticking.

OP
T
Reaction score
rustyk, thank you for your comment - very helpful. i'll have it checked out!
thanks again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.