Upgrading OS question

Reaction score
Hello,

Im pretty illiterate when it comes to computer talk. I would like to upgrade my Imac to a higher OSX, currently running 10.4.11, which i believe is Tiger? I would like to go 10.5, or even 10.6 if its possible? My IMac specs are:

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Do you think i can upgrade to 10.6 Snow Leopard? Also, to upgrade, do i need the $130 box set for snow leopard, or can i get away with the $30 upgrade cd? I dont use imovie or iphoto anything like that, mainly itunes and thats about it, so i think the $130 box set would be a waste? Thanks again, its greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Yes you can go to Snow leopard, I would upgrade the ram tho to 2, or really 4 gig

Technically you need to buy the box set, but the upgrade CD on its own will still work and install properly

Make sure you make a back-up first before any major upgrade

OP
G
Reaction score
Yes you can go to Snow leopard, I would upgrade the ram tho to 2, or really 4 gig

Technically you need to buy the box set, but the upgrade CD on its own will still work and install properly

Make sure you make a back-up first before any major upgrade

Thanks for the reply. Is it really necessary to upgrade the ram? I dont want to have to open up the computer or have someone else do it. Also, comparing the box set and jsut the upgrade cd, what is the difference? As far as i can tell the box set has the upgrade cd and the ilife 09'? Ilife would be upgrading imovie, iphoto im guessing? Again, thanks for the reply. Im not too keen on the computer, as far as operating systems and whatnot, lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
1GB will be fine for Leopard. That's what I have.

If you decide to go to Snow Leopard, I bet you'd be disappointed in performance with only 1GB.

OP
G
Reaction score
1GB will be fine for Leopard. That's what I have.

If you decide to go to Snow Leopard, I bet you'd be disappointed in performance with only 1GB.

Ok, thanks. I guess im stuck with just leopard. I looked all over the apple store, yet couldnt find the OSX cd for it? Where would i go for it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you ask one of the salespersons at the Apple store? The Snow Leopard upgrade DVD package is stocked along with the other software titles. And as far as upgrading memory goes, it's very easy to do on an iMac. You do not have to go into the machine as the memory is accessible from the outside.

Regards.

OP
G
Reaction score
Did you ask one of the salespersons at the Apple store? The Snow Leopard upgrade DVD package is stocked along with the other software titles. And as far as upgrading memory goes, it's very easy to do on an iMac. You do not have to go into the machine as the memory is accessible from the outside.

Regards.

Thanks. I havent been to the apple store, was just browsing on their website. As far as memory, after watching a vid, i realized how easy it is, haha. I have a early imac 10.4.11 osx, late 2007 i believe. As far as memory goes, is there a certain kind, or is ram pretty much universal? I have no idea clue about this kinda stuff. Thanks again, much appreciated.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks. I havent been to the apple store, was just browsing on their website. As far as memory, after watching a vid, i realized how easy it is, haha. I have a early imac 10.4.11 osx, late 2007 i believe. As far as memory goes, is there a certain kind, or is ram pretty much universal? I have no idea clue about this kinda stuff. Thanks again, much appreciated.

Nevermind, i was able to answer my own question with some research. Found i have the 5,1 2 duo mac, so i can do a 4gig max ram, ddr2. Found a website that shows what you can use for what year mac, OWC if your wondering. So im thinking of doing the 4g ram and snow leopard. Thanks again everyone for the help, greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, thanks. I guess im stuck with just leopard. I looked all over the apple store, yet couldnt find the OSX cd for it? Where would i go for it?

Nevermind, i was able to answer my own question with some research. Found i have the 5,1 2 duo mac, so i can do a 4gig max ram, ddr2. Found a website that shows what you can use for what year mac, OWC if your wondering. So im thinking of doing the 4g ram and snow leopard. Thanks again everyone for the help, greatly appreciated.

Ok, since you seem to be vacillating here, and you have the answer you need for Snow Leopard, here's what you do for Leopard:

No, you won't find the retail disc (black with large 'X' on it) at the Apple Store, brick and mortar or online. But, if you go to the online store and find the toll free number, you can order one, if they still have them. I have seen other people post about doing that. Sorry, I don't recall the price.

OP
G
Reaction score
Ok, since you seem to be vacillating here, and you have the answer you need for Snow Leopard, here's what you do for Leopard:

No, you won't find the retail disc (black with large 'X' on it) at the Apple Store, brick and mortar or online. But, if you go to the online store and find the toll free number, you can order one, if they still have them. I have seen other people post about doing that. Sorry, I don't recall the price.

Thanks. I'll probably end up with the 4g ram upgrade and snow leopard. I plan on keeping this computer for a few more years, so a little upgrade cant hurt. Didnt realize how easy it was to switch out memory on the imac. Looks like it will be around $100 for the ram and $30 for the cd, so for a $130 upgrade, not bad in my book, better then a new computer! :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah Grizz, afraid he's correct. The $29 SL license is for current 10.5 license holders. Apple is selling what they chose to call a "box set" for earlier version owners that is $169 but also includes iWork '09 (Pages, Numbers, Keynote). Bummer. I'd pay more than $29 for just SL if they offered it to upgrade our Tiger iMac, but I'm waiting on a new pricing /bundling structure or 10.7

OP
G
Reaction score
The whole thing though, i dont use iphoto, imovie, or any of those other applications. So i basically have to buy updated versions of those even if i dont use them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Of course you could probably find a copy of leopard on eBay and from there you would be able to use the snow leopard update and that should save you some money.

Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I have no idea if this is possible, but in theory if Apple are selling Snow Leopard for $29 or whatever, then I can't believe that they would be charging as much as $100 for Leopard (assuming they still have it).

So perhaps you could buy Leopard for less than $100 and then you would be perfectly legal in buying Snow Leopard for $29 and you would have moved from Tiger to Snow Leopard for less than $129. :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iWork '09 (Pages, Numbers, Keynote)

It's just those three applications. I've seen the suite for between $60 and $65.

If you try eBay, heed my earlier post. You must get the "retail disc" - the one you would have been able to buy from a store before SL came out. People try to sell the discs that come with their Macs after they upgrade. Those discs are gray, and only work on the specific model they shipped with.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.