I Sold My Imac Need To Get Rid Of Info

Reaction score
Thank you in advance anyone who is willing to help me.
I sold my machine (painfully) on EBAY, and I need to clean out all of my files, and I have no idea how to do that.
Can someone instruct me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Everything???
1. Reinstall the OS, using Clean Install
or
2. Reformat (Erase) the drive, but you will need the original Apple disks for that model of iMac to do so. You'll still need to reinstall the OS afterwards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
If you are very worried about personal data being on the HDD, you might want to zero it out. To do so, boot from the install DVD and open disk utility. Click on the drive, choose erase, and then click security options. You will be given a list of options to choose from which will make recovering data from the drive extremely difficult.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
If you are very worried about personal data being on the HDD, you might want to zero it out. To do so, boot from the install DVD and open disk utility. Click on the drive, choose erase, and then click security options. You will be given a list of options to choose from which will make recovering data from the drive extremely difficult.

That's a good idea. It is also very time consuming depending how big the hard drive is though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
Yeah, if left overnight it isn't much of a problem. I have always done this when selling a Mac, it's worth the peace of mind.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.