How to use my old iPhone as a regular phone

Reaction score
Hi,

I currently have the old generation iPhone and placed an order for the new iPhone 4 yesterday and I have a question about my old iPhone.

Yesterday I called AT&T to place an order for the new iPhone 4 and everything went good, after making the upgrade I asked if I could use my old iPhone without a data plan basically use it as a regular phone by swapping the SIM card from my Samsung (second line) and they said NO. They said that I could swap SIM cards but as soon as the system recognizes that what I’m using for that line is an iPhone a data plan will be assigned automatically.

My question is, is there a way to use my iPhone as a regular phone to at least have the WI-FI advantage?

I know this is the last option but… jail breaking it would work?

Can someone give me some ideas as to how I can continue using my old iPhone.

Thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
When I got my iPhone 3G initially..I used the SIM card from my freebie Nokia phone and everything worked fine without the data plan..however, you have to be VERY careful to avoid any Internet traffic..cuz you'll be paying by the KB which is VERY expensive..

So see if you can sell your old iPhone (depending on generation) or something..why bothering having 2 phones??

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
When I got my iPhone 3G initially..I used the SIM card from my freebie Nokia phone and everything worked fine without the data plan..however, you have to be VERY careful to avoid any Internet traffic..cuz you'll be paying by the KB which is VERY expensive.

AT&T changed the policy on this since that time. You used to be able to not have a data plan with an iPhone. Now it's required, and as the poster noted, the system will add it if it detects an iPhone.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
When I logged into the My Wireless part..the system did detect that I had an iPhone, but it didn't force the dataplan onto my account..I guess they must've begun enforcing it..but that's good anyway..since I had the account sans the dataplan for a couple of months and the second month with VERY little data usage, my bill was like $300+..needless to say, I ran to AT&T very quickly to sign up for the $30/month plan..:)

Regards

OP
fs_tigre
Reaction score
First of all thank you all for your replies.

So see if you can sell your old iPhone (depending on generation) or something..why bothering having 2 phones??

Well, I currently have two phone lines, an iPhone and a Samsung.

C

chas_m

Sorry you're not in Canada -- we don't have such draconian restrictions on iPhones up here (but we do have longer contracts and kinda sucky data charges, so I suppose it evens out).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I think there is a Jailbreak app available for this, I know a lot of people with unlocked iPhones that don't have data plans.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think there is a Jailbreak app available for this, I know a lot of people with unlocked iPhones that don't have data plans.

Are they using them on AT&T?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Are they using them on AT&T?

eh, good point. I know there is an option to shut off the "Cellular data Network" on a jailbroken iPhone, Perhaps that would work on Att?
the OP can't be the only At&t customer trying to use an iPhone without data.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have been using my iPhone 3g (totally stock) on AT&T but with a Pay As You Go Sim. Works great with no data plan. It's probably because it's pay as you go and not a plan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have been using my iPhone 3g (totally stock) on AT&T but with a Pay As You Go Sim. Works great with no data plan. It's probably because it's pay as you go and not a plan.

Is that basically the GoPhone plan? I'm wondering if a GoPhone sim would work in the iPhone4 ?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is the Sim the same in the iPhone 4 or is it a smaller micro one? I forget.

Yeah, it's like the go phone. I have had this same pay as you go number/Sim since back when it was Cingular before AT&T took over. A friend hated his iPhone so I tried the Sim and it worked and bought his iphone used. At first if I opened Safari it would start taking minutes away from my total, but then a year or so back that changed.

I was told by AT&T I could get a Data Plan if I wanted one for $20 a month. There is so much WiFi around the area I never bothered to save $$$.

EDIT: Thanks Schweb. I was pretty sure the Sim in the 4 was the new Micro one. I should swing by AT&T and see if a Go Phone plan could be purchased still for the 4 with a Micro Sim.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have an iPhone 2G (the original) on an AT&T PAYGO sim. Works fine.

That will work.

The difference in this scenario is the poster wants to put another SIM from his post-paid account into his iPhone. On a post-paid account, AT&T will automatically add the data plan on when it detects an iPhone.

The only way around that on AT&T's network is to use a pre-paid SIM.

OP
fs_tigre
Reaction score
Thank you all for the good information.

It looks like not even jailbreaking it would be the solution since att will detect the phone no matter what.

I haven't get my new iPhone to try different things but I will post as soon as I try something.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.