• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple investigating MacBook Air Wi-Fi issues

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Anand of Anandtech just tested the new MBA and has an speed issue with the 802.11ac. It connects at AC speed but it's only running at 21.5 mbps like it was in N no matter what he has tried. Wired goes close to 100MB's. He explains what he found to be the issue and has notified Apple about it. Maybe the two issues are tied together. Hope they get it sorted.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I saw that Dennis. I think 802.11ac is still in its infancy and has some bugs to be worked out before it achieves the kind of speeds it's supposed to. I would expect Apple to issue a firmware update as soon as they get it sorted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Air 1.3GHz i5/4GB DDR3/256 flash storage
I just picked up a 13" 1.3GHz i5/4gb and I'm also using the airport extreme and I'm pulling almost 30mps and thats with me currently downloading a few files.

Its at least taking full advantage of my connection before that on my laptop with N I didn't get but maybe half that.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Interesting, if you are getting 30 Mpbs maybe Anand got a bad sample for review with an issue with it's WiFi card. He was getting the full WiFi connect speed just transfer speed via a Network was fixed at the speed I mentioned. Was this on a network between 2 systems?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting, if you are getting 30 Mpbs maybe Anand got a bad sample for review with an issue with it's WiFi card. He was getting the full WiFi connect speed just transfer speed via a Network was fixed at the speed I mentioned. Was this on a network between 2 systems?

I read about the issue on another forum as well when it was first reported but I figured I'd check for myself tonight. Its my macbook air and my roommates random dell laptop. I've gotten consistent download speeds and from using my old laptop that was also a dell which was connected before but with an N router I never came close to these speeds.

I'll test it again in the morning to see if I'm getting consistent results or if that was maybe a fluke.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just curious, what was the other site where you saw this issue? Would love to read it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think it was cult of mac, it was an article they put up I guess it had to be one of the very first after the issue got reported and I was reading the comments below it.

I can try and find the article

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple is now aware of the problem as this thread has stated. I have no doubt that they will resolve the problem as soon as they can. Very likely with a firmware update. If you can wait it out, fine. If not, you can always return the machine as long as you're within the two week return period.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First you called Apple. There is no Mac company. Apple.

Try this as it's worked for some. What encryption are you using? WEP? WPA? WPA2? Most in that thread say it only happens with WPA. If you are using that switch to WPA2. For many that solved it and WPA2 is a much more secure encryption anyway.

Reaction score
Doubt it

First you called Apple. There is no Mac company. Apple.

Try this as it's worked for some. What encryption are you using? WEP? WPA? WPA2? Most in that thread say it only happens with WPA. If you are using that switch to WPA2. For many that solved it and WPA2 is a much more secure encryption anyway.

Happens where ever I go not just at my house.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So turns out it was a software thing, not a big deal.

Not a big deal for you and I since we don't own a new MacBook Air, but definitely a big deal for someone who just spent $1200 - $1400 for a state of the art notebook which can't maintain a connection to the net! Glad to hear it was only a software glitch, but it does make me wonder why Apple issued an alert to "capture" the defective units and replace them? Could something else be going on? ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well said Chscag!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.