PDF Creation software for OSX?

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend PDF creation software that works particularly well with OSX? I mainly need to just create PDF docs, don't really need to do any editing, group collaboration, etc. TIA!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
PDF creation is built into the OS. In every print dialog, in the bottom left hand corner is a PDF button. Clicking on that gives you the option to save PDFs.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Also, if you happen to have Pages, it has the option to export in PDF format. I just generally use the print to PDF method that Vansmith mentions, but if you need to tailor PDF quality etc, Pages gives you more options.
And, Preview is an excellent, if somewhat limited PDF editor.

OP
S
Reaction score
Wow thanks for the quick response. I am just getting ready to order an iMac and am trying to figure out how much additional software I will need to replicate my pc. The print to PDF already saves me a few bucks. Thx!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow thanks for the quick response. I am just getting ready to order an iMac and am trying to figure out how much additional software I will need to replicate my pc. The print to PDF already saves me a few bucks. Thx!

I am naturally frugal (translate Cheap), which caused me to delay several years buying my first Mac because of the perceived price differential.

I say perceived, and this has been discussed in numerous threads, but what I didn't know at the time I splurged on my first Mac (the absolute bottomline MacBook) was how much software I wouldn't have to buy.
That, combined with the longer service life I have experienced (my 2007 MBP is still going strong and many members are still using much older machines) has made my transition a sensible investment, rather than a splurge.

Regardless, welcome and enjoy your new Mac!

EDIT: My 2006 MacBook (my first Mac) is still alive and well too, but my wife took it away from me soon after I got it, hence my upgrade to the MacBook Pro. ;)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Also, if you happen to have Pages, it has the option to export in PDF format.
Word has a similar PDF option (available in the save/save as dialog). Oddly, it sometimes produces different results (frequently better ones in fact).

Regardless, you have various options for PDF exporting. At a minimum, you have the print dialog which is available in any application (that can print of course). There is also a more "Unixy" way of creating PDFs from the command line but I won't complicate things by getting into that. ;)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is also a more "Unixy" way of creating PDFs from the command line but I won't complicate things by getting into that. ;)

Isn't there always a way to do it with Unix? ;D

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.