help with macbook wireless connection

Reaction score
Hi!
Im new to the world of Macs and am trying to connect my macbook to my Netgear DG834G v3 wireless router.

The mac can scan and find the router when i try to get online. Then it asks me to restart the device (im asuming ths means the router).

After this its says the network dignostics cannot fix the problem...

Any thoughts or am setting up the connection wrong?

Thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi!
Im new to the world of Macs and am trying to connect my macbook to my Netgear DG834G v3 wireless router.

The mac can scan and find the router when i try to get online. Then it asks me to restart the device (im asuming ths means the router).

After this its says the network dignostics cannot fix the problem...

Any thoughts or am setting up the connection wrong?

Thanks!

I'm not sure how Network Diagnostics is coming into play here, establishing a wireless connection should be much simpler.

In the menu bar at the top-right of the screen you should see an icon that looks like a fan. Click on that. When you do, you should see a list of wireless networks, including your Netgear router. Click on your Netgear router. Enter a password/passphrase if prompted. You should now be connected.

OP
J
Reaction score
OK i have done as you say above. I still can't connect. There is a locked symbol next to NETGEAR in the networks drop down menu. A

lso, when i open network preferences i notice when i look at the Airport status it says Airport does not have an IP address and cannot connect to the internet...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK i have done as you say above. I still can't connect. There is a locked symbol next to NETGEAR in the networks drop down menu. A

lso, when i open network preferences i notice when i look at the Airport status it says Airport does not have an IP address and cannot connect to the internet...

The lock symbol indicates that the connection has some kind of security setup. What type of security do you have configured on your Netgear router?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The wireless network security type is a WPA2-PSK

Perfect. Click on the network name from the Airport menu. It should then detect the type of security and ask you for your password. Check the type of security it detected, if it didn't detect it properly, switch it manually over to WPA2-PSK. Then, enter your password.

If this doesn't work, it might be because your router is set up for MAC filtering(Media Access Control, not Macintosh) . This is a security setting whomever initially configured the router has set up. If this is the case, you'll want to either disable it or add your Mac's MAC address to the list. You can find your MAC address by opening Network Utility (Applications => Utilities folder) and selecting Network Interface (en1). The address is a 12 digit alpha-numeric address (labeled as "hardware address").

If you're not sure how to do this, either check your router's manual or contact Netgear tech support, since it varies from model to model.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.