Sync Outlook between Mac and PC

Reaction score
I recently switched to Mac in the office, but still have a PC laptop for my infrequent business trips. When I DO travel, I'd like to be able to sync Outlook before and after the trip.

I've heard of syncing.net and synchpst.com, but those don't appear to be compatible with Mac.

Meanwhile, I was hoping to avoid Office 365 and Microsoft Exchange as I don't want to host my emails on their servers. I'm quite comfortable keeping it all local on my side, but just need a service to sync Mac to PC from time to time.

Does anyone know of a workable solution?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
What are you using as a mail server? Most common mail servers have some kind of sync mechanism - Google uses iSync for example.

There are ways to save off PSTs and import that data but it is a little bit of a bear - and you should let your servers do the work for you.

OP
B
Reaction score
I have 3 different email accounts that come into Outlook. One is through a domain hosted by Network Solutions, one from an independent 3rd party, and the last is my broadband provider (Cox). So each email account has its own incoming email server.

Does that give you the information you were asking for? I appreciate your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Assuming you have relatively later versions of Outlook - you should be able just to point to the three servers from both Outlooks. Is there a reason why you can't? What type of mail server are you accessing - i.e. Pop, Imap, something else? If it is Imap it will be the easiest to keep in sync across any client - Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.

Reaction score
I recently switched to Mac in the office, but still have a PC laptop for my infrequent business trips. When I DO travel, I'd like to be able to sync Outlook before and after the trip.

I've heard of syncing.net and synchpst.com, but those don't appear to be compatible with Mac.

Meanwhile, I was hoping to avoid Office 365 and Microsoft Exchange as I don't want to host my emails on their servers. I'm quite comfortable keeping it all local on my side, but just need a service to sync Mac to PC from time to time.

Does anyone know of a workable solution?

Hi,

You can think of Parallels Desktop for Mac to run Windows applications there. Alternatively, you can install a VMware machine with Windows on your Mac. Also, if you have a Mac computer with an intel processor, you can install Windows on it as your operating system.

In any case you'd have install the Windows version of Office and then sync Outlook with other computers using tools you mentioned above or other programs. I had this situation in two companies and used CodeTwo Public Folders to share Outlook data and folders. Works like a charm.

OP
B
Reaction score
Assuming you have relatively later versions of Outlook - you should be able just to point to the three servers from both Outlooks. Is there a reason why you can't? What type of mail server are you accessing - i.e. Pop, Imap, something else? If it is Imap it will be the easiest to keep in sync across any client - Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.

I am able to point to the 3 servers and send/receive email from both Mac and PC just fine. But let's say I'm on the road for a week and am using my PC laptop. Any email that I receive during that week is now on the PC and doesn't then appear on my Mac when I log in after I return home. In other words, anything new during my road trip (sent items, deleted items, new msgs received) stay only on my PC and don't show up on my Mac. That's why I'm looking for a way to sync the two before and after road trips.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
POP vs. IMAP - If you have an email account, you're going to use one of these two protocols. The difference is how they store messages and share information.

IMAP is like a bulletin board. Messages posted to it are viewable by everyone (or every computer) that looks at them. If a message is pulled from the bulletin board (deleted), it's removed for everyone.

POP is like the mailbox in front of your home. By default, if you check the mail, it's removed from the box (server) and taken in the house. Anyone checking mail later will only find an empty box. First come, first served.

The exception, as described above, is if you choose to leave the mail in the box temporarily so that another computer can also check it. Eventually though, it will be removed automatically from the server. Personally, I like to leave mail on the server for 7 days, so that I can check email from other devices, such as my iPhone and iPad.

OP
B
Reaction score
Both of these replies has been helpful. Thank you both. I think what I'll do is change the settings on my laptop to leave those emails on the server until I get back home and download them from my office Mac. That way, anything that comes in while I'm traveling will still come into Outlook when I get back home.

Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.