iPad Activation Problems

Reaction score
Hello

This is my first posting. I have been having problems with my iPad and just cannot figure it out. I have the last OS on my mac, the latest iTunes and the latest iPad firmware. I own a 32GB Wifi+3G UK iPad bought in the UK via Apple. Here is the problem:

• Received new iPad and activated OK via iTunes
  • iPad SIM card arrived from Orange. Put it in iPad and activated it.
  • Worked for a few days but then iPad displayed 'connect to iTunes' screen.
  • Connected to iTunes and received an error message (attached)
  • Had to restore iPad and go through activation again.
  • This happened around 20+ times in two weeks
  • Took iPad to Apple Store and after testing it they agreed to replace iPad with new one
  • New iPad arrived and used it for several weeks without any problems without SIM in it
  • Requested a new SIM from Orange (in case the SIM was faulty)
  • When new SIM arrived put in in iPad and activated it via iTunes (including downloading latest carrier settings)
  • After 2 days was presented with 'connect to iTunes' screen again - did this and had to restore
  • Same cycle started repeating itself etc with me getting 'connect to iTunes screen', having to restore etc etc

So, I have changed my iPad, changed my SIM but still the same problem. If I restore the iPad without the SIM and use it as a Wifi only version, it works fine. The problem is when I try and use 3G/SIM card. I am happy to use it as a Wifi only version, but having paid extra for the 3G I would quite like to use it.

I'm at a loss - any ideas welcome!

Voila_Capture3.jpg

C

chas_m

The problem clearly lies with Orange so I'm not sure what you expect us to be able to do other than advise you to take it into your local Orange dealer and make THEM activate it for you.

OP
D
Reaction score
The problem clearly lies with Orange so I'm not sure what you expect us to be able to do other than advise you to take it into your local Orange dealer and make THEM activate it for you.

Hi chas_m

Thanks for such a welcoming reply to my first post.

The guys at the Apple Store are a little confused with this, as is technical support at Orange - so your certainty about the problem is impressive. I posted because of the knowledge and expertise in this forum. I don't expect anyone to "do" anything other than share their ideas and thoughts, if they wish to, in a friendly and constructive way.

All the best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Diand,

I am not an expert on iPad, but my neighbor had something similar and went through the same process you described.
In the end, it seemed that iTunes on his MacBook was not the correct version.
He updated iTunes and that solved the issue for him.

Again, I am not an expert but it is worthwhile checking the version of iTunes.

Hope it works.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

??? Why "clearly with Orange" ??

• [*]Received new iPad and activated OK via iTunes
    [*]iPad SIM card arrived from Orange. Put it in iPad and activated it.
    [*]Worked for a few days but then iPad displayed 'connect to iTunes' screen.
  • Connected to iTunes and received an error message (attached)
  • Had to restore iPad and go through activation again.
  • This happened around 20+ times in two weeks
  • Took iPad to Apple Store and after testing it they agreed to replace iPad with new one
  • New iPad arrived and used it for several weeks without any problems without SIM in it
  • Requested a new SIM from Orange (in case the SIM was faulty)
  • When new SIM arrived put in in iPad and activated it via iTunes (including downloading latest carrier settings)
    [*]After 2 days was presented with 'connect to iTunes' screen again - did this and had to restore
  • Same cycle started repeating itself etc with me getting 'connect to iTunes screen', having to restore etc etc

The OP has stated that it has been activated via Orange and has worked for a a cpl of days on each activation... Unless im missing something and you are in cahoot's with Orange ...

Cheers

OP
D
Reaction score
Diand,

I am not an expert on iPad, but my neighbor had something similar and went through the same process you described.
In the end, it seemed that iTunes on his MacBook was not the correct version.
He updated iTunes and that solved the issue for him.

Again, I am not an expert but it is worthwhile checking the version of iTunes.

Hope it works.

Cheers ... McBie

Hi McBie

Thanks for that. I've double checked my iTunes version and it seems to be the latest. It's an odd thing. Interesting that your neighbour had the same problem and now it is sorted because of the iTunes update. At one stage I completely uninstalled and re-installed iTunes (following the instructions from Apple). I think I am probably doomed to either use it via Wifi (without putting a new SIM in), or go for another carrier (though I don't really want to sign up for another data contract).

Thanks for your ideas. Diand

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.