Um.. Firefox 5 is out. Did you guys know ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I was wading through the sci/tech news section on my native Android news/weather app and came across an article from Computer World that Firefox 5 was released yesterday (well, the 21st). Here's the article :

Mozilla ships Firefox 5, holds to new rapid-release plan - Computerworld

Normally, FF would show updates like this, but this time around the update wasn't brought to attention. Not only that, but when manually checking, it didn't even show the normal update dialog. Though this could be the new way updates are done if you don't have it set to check automatically.. not sure how I have that set to be honest. Upon checking though, this is what comes up: (check screen cap)

I'm not updating though, since it will render a couple of my extensions useless. I wish that the Mozilla devs were a lot more forthcoming and communicative with their extension devs so that things weren't broken in updates. Especially now that they're going to be so aggressive when it comes to update roll outs.

What I don't get though is why they'd go from 4.0.1 right to 5.0 ?! That seems crazy to me.

Doug

Screen shot 2011-06-22 at 2.09.59 AM.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Next major update is all. The new version came out as 5 Beta different o 4.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
News to me. Haven't been using firefox lately though. >_>"

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Yes - I knew. It's been bugging me to download the beta for several weeks now - which of course - I continue to refuse to do.

I only use FF for Zotero and until I know it will not hiccup with FF5 - I will stay at FF4.

C

chas_m

FF5 has a few minor new features, but despite the name isn't really a major version change at all. It's now on a "rapid development cycle" like Chrome, which means that Firefox 6 will be out before plug-in devs have time to update their stuff ... literally, it will be out before summer is over, and will be unlikely to have any significant new features.

As you can tell, this annoys me. Call me old-fashioned, but major version numbers should mean something seriously different.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed with Chas and I am old fashioned also on that. It really bugs me Mozilla is rushing like this. Very hard on the plug in Devs. FF5 does work well though.

I got the RC, BUT, there is the official FF5 out now that is NOT a Beta! No issues so far.

But Mozilla, Slow down a bit! Give the Devs a chance to catch up!! :D

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Exactly Chas and D. My sentiments in a nutshell.

D.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hoping the upgrade will fix my 1password FF integration which broke with the latest 1password update.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I did all the fixes and resets recommended and so far the 1password plugin no longer works in FF (no problem in Safari) on my machine.
Not certain where the issue is (went as far as to uninstall and resin tall FF but no success).

EDIT: 1Password has a new update to provide Lion and FF5 support. installed it and it fixed my problem (though I am still running FF4).

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm not updating though, since it will render a couple of my extensions useless. I wish that the Mozilla devs were a lot more forthcoming and communicative with their extension devs so that things weren't broken in updates. Especially now that they're going to be so aggressive when it comes to update roll outs.

Agreed with Chas and I am old fashioned also on that. It really bugs me Mozilla is rushing like this. Very hard on the plug in Devs. FF5 does work well though.

I got the RC, BUT, there is the official FF5 out now that is NOT a Beta! No issues so far.

But Mozilla, Slow down a bit! Give the Devs a chance to catch up!! :D
I think this is where the flaws in the extension system come to light when there are drastic changes to the browser. Chrome releases new major versions every six weeks and rarely do I hear people complaining about broken extensions. Say what you will about Chrome but extension support between releases is never an issue. Sometimes gradual development eases the pain.

My guess though is that since FF5 is "minor" relative to other major releases, many extension devs will simply have to change the supported versions found in the extension config. For those that aren't aware, when you develop an extension, you have to explicitly state which versions are supported in the config file. You can see that here in this tutorial for anyone who's interested. My guess is that the lack of major overhauls will make this transitions much easier and only require slight changes to the config file for many.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I predict Firefox to go the way of the dodo within the next 3 years.

Mozilla exists because Google bank rolled it. How much longer do you think Google will pour money into Mozilla when they're pushing Chrome?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I hope not. The more the merrier I always say.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Mozilla exists because Google bank rolled it. How much longer do you think Google will pour money into Mozilla when they're pushing Chrome?

Funny you should say that cause I pretty much jumped shipped and moved over to Chrome. >_<"

I still use Firefox but only when Chrome doesn't render a page correctly and that's rare.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)

Google's contract with Mozilla runs through to the end of November and it's anyone's guess what will happen after that. I do think that Mozilla is hoping for a renewal - last I heard, Google is responsible for 85% of Mozilla's revenue (through search royalties and making Google the default search engine). See here for more. My guess is that Google will keep the relationship - it's mutually beneficial. I remember reading somewhere that Google has no intention of stoping their funding as they seem to be very okay with the existence of Firefox and the health of the Mozilla foundation (can't find the source right now).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
FF5 has a few minor new features, but despite the name isn't really a major version change at all. It's now on a "rapid development cycle" like Chrome, which means that Firefox 6 will be out before plug-in devs have time to update their stuff ... literally, it will be out before summer is over, and will be unlikely to have any significant new features.

As you can tell, this annoys me. Call me old-fashioned, but major version numbers should mean something seriously different.

Agreed. My gut feeling is they are doing this to try to boost their share by generating hype (it's here… the latest and greatest betterer than ever!). It smacks of desperation, and they may very well be desperate if it looks like Google is about to pull the plug. Never mind how they have long been riding the wave of discontentment with Internet Explorer over the years, and MS seems to finally be getting off their duffs and working hard on polishing that turd.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I hope Mozilla does not go the way of the "Dodo" because that would mean no more development for "Thunderbird". I don't use or even like FF but T-Bird get's a lot of use here.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agreed. My gut feeling is they are doing this to try to boost their share by generating hype (it's here… the latest and greatest betterer than ever!).
I have to disagree. This release has no hype - the point of this thread was to point out the lack of hype around this release. I bet a significant number of Firefox users have no clue that Firefox 5 is now the major version. Mozilla didn't help either as there was absolutely nowhere near the hype in this release as there was for version 4.

Mozilla is doing what Google has rightly been trying to do all along - attempting to make version numbers irrelevant. Version numbers are arbitrary anyway. It could easily be argued that each major release of OS X deserves a major bump in version number instead of incremental bumps in the minor version (10.0 -> 10.1 -> 10.2, etc) given that we see hundreds of new features with each release (except for perhaps SL). The point here is that version numbers largely have no meaning except what a software developer gives to it. The Linux distro Slackware for instance jumped from version 4 to version 7 to account for the marketing of others which just goes to show the arbitrariness of version numbering (source). In the grand scheme of things, who cares what version number it is?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I have to disagree. This release has no hype - the point of this thread was to point out the lack of hype around this release. I bet a significant number of Firefox users have no clue that Firefox 5 is now the major version. Mozilla didn't help either as there was absolutely nowhere near the hype in this release as there was for version 4.

Well perhaps "hype" isn't quite the right term, but certainly it's intended to portray this is a new major release. Maybe they just feel that "only" being on Firefox 4 looks bad compared to, say, Internet Explorer 9. *shrug* I know when I saw Firefox 5 was out, at first I was like "Ooooh… I wonder how much better this is!" even though I don't really even use it much.

The Linux distro Slackware for instance jumped from version 4 to version 7 to account for the marketing of others which just goes to show the arbitrariness of version numbering (source). In the grand scheme of things, who cares what version number it is?

Exactly what I'm saying… it's all marketing. As for who cares… I personally hate being manipulated by marketers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.