iMac or Mac Mini

Reaction score
I just picked up a new Mac Book Pro about a week ago. I have an iPad 2, and my wife and I both have an iPhone 4s. We also have an Apple TV.

I replace my Windows7 laptop with the Mac Book Pro since the Windows laptop died.

All my files are stored on a Buffalo Linkstation Duo.

What I would like to do is purchase either a iMac or a Mac Mini to store all my files and setup file sharing and use the LInkstation as just a back up. The reason I am looking at the iMac or Mac Mini is I want my Apple TV to be able to see my iTunes library and photos without the need to keep my Mac Book open all the time. I would also like to point iPhoto on my Mac Book to my photos that will be stored on the iMac or Mac Book.

I am a new user to Mac.

Can someone please recommend if I should go with the iMac or Mac Mini or if I should do something different?

Thank You

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
It really depends on whether you already have a monitor and keyboard and how you intend to use. But IMO the Mac Mini is a better choice.
In particular you may want to consider upgrading to OSX Server ($29 if I remember correctly) or even buying a mini in the server configuration. Have a look at the articles in our MacForum BLOG section to see if this might interest you.

http://www.mac-forums.com/blog/os-x-lion-server-part-01-what-type-of-server-r2/

OP
D
Reaction score
this line in the blog sums it up for me "If all you need is to share files and maybe host a shared iTunes library on a machine at home, then honestly, you are better off with the sharing capabilities built into the regular OSX." unless I am missing something...

is there any particular reason you think the Mac Mini is the better choice?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
this line in the blog sums it up for me "If all you need is to share files and maybe host a shared iTunes library on a machine at home, then honestly, you are better off with the sharing capabilities built into the regular OSX." unless I am missing something...

is there any particular reason you think the Mac Mini is the better choice?

I'm not a fan of all-in-one designs. You repurchase your Monitor every time you update. Yes, a fully decked out Mac Mini, Keyboard, TrackPad and Thunderbolt Display will cost as much as (or more than) the equivalent iMac, with a nod to the iMac for being somewhat more powerful.
But, five years from now when you replace your Mac Mini with the 2017 version Mini (or even Mac Pro) your new box will leave the old iMac in the dust and all you have to replace is the Mini.
My opinion FWIW.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.