iMac & MacBook Pro at the same time?

Reaction score
Hi!

Anyone has a macbook pro and an imac at the same time.

Please let me know if this is possible.

Having an imac and a macbook pro connected together by wireless or something like that into a disk (wireless, don't know).

My idea was: at home work in the imac, and when i get out, use the macbook pro. but the macbook pro should have exactly the same screen and files in the desktop so i would feel like working always in the same place.

Is this possible?

Because for home an imac is perfect, much more faster and the screen wow it's better for eyes, spine and work. but i really don't want to have two sepparate computer with different configurations and files, that would be a mess.

Please let me know what do you think :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
FYI..you don't need just an iMac and a MacBook Pro...all you need are any two Macs and network them to do this.

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
what do you mean by two macs? of course i need one imac and one macbook pro, i work in my office lots of hours, and also outside home..

And how i can network them?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what do you mean by two macs? of course i need one imac and one macbook pro, i work in my office lots of hours, and also outside home..

You didn't understand my point. In your 1st post you make it sound like it's so important to have a MacBook Pro & an iMac to do what you want to do.

rsales said:
Anyone has a macbook pro and an imac at the same time.

My point is...you can do what you want to do with any two Macintosh computers!

As far as what you want to do...it sounds like you want two computers to have "mirrored" hard drives. This may take a lot of work on your part...you could try this:

Mirror Your Mac on a Bootable External Drive - Backup utilities - Lifehacker

You could read this as well:

Apple - Support - Discussions - Mirror my laptop and iMac ...

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
This way may be a cheaper option - just use a MacBookPro and a second screen, that way rather than worrying about keeping 2 HD's identical u can focus on having a bootable back up instead

Click for full size

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This way may be a cheaper option - just use a MacBookPro and a second screen, that way rather than worrying about keeping 2 HD's identical u can focus on having a bootable back up instead

Yes I agree...trying to keep two computers "exactly" the same may not be very easy to maintain.

The larger external display, full sized external keyboard, and mouse...would seem to be a much simpler & less expensive solution!!:)

Great idea,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
If u are dead keen on having 2 units - the Time Capsule in pic above connects MBP and wife's iMac {behind 20" screen} and is used for the LAN and Time Capsule back up for both units. Also good for using MBP upstairs wirelessly.

Will even supply dimensions/plan for compressed board stand if u want - i think the board and 10 self drive screws ran out about $30

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks guy, that's a good idea, i like imac's because the screen is in a good position and it's an really huge screen, perfect for work, and of course it's mac :)

For screen i think i have an samsung 17" in my other office.

Collin, and does it update on the go? Your desktop files are inside the time capsule?

Thanks!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Thanks Collin. You just saved me over $1,000.
Should have thought of that myself.

Instead of getting the wife a new iMac to replace the old Dell, I can just get her a 24" screen and then attach her MB to it when she wants to sit in the office at her computer. Found out she's been buying 2 copies of practically every game she wants to play - one for the desktop and another for the notebook. That'll save me that money also. Now I can spend it on more server storage or upgrading the HTPC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.