Serial ATA vs Fusion Drive

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Could anyone tell me how much better the Fusion Harddrives are in comparison to the Serial ATA as i am buying an iMac soon and i need to know is it really worth the extra cash?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Physically, a Fusion drive is 2 drives: an SSD and an HDD. OS X treats them as one drive but puts all your most frequently-accessed files on the SSD. SSDs are MUCH faster than HDDs, so for the most part, you will see much less lag related to accessing files, booting up, etc. I have a 2010 iMac that I added an SSD to in place of the DVD drive and still have a larger HDD in place. I can tell you I'll never go back to an HDD-only setup. It is just sick how much faster apps seem to pop now. Anything CPU-intensive will not be faster, but any lags you may experience from data being written to a drive and read from the drive will be dramatically reduced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
Luv it

Hi guys,

Could anyone tell me how much better the Fusion Harddrives are in comparison to the Serial ATA as i am buying an iMac soon and i need to know is it really worth the extra cash?

Thanks

I have a 2013 iMac with a 1 TB Fusion Drive and I luv it.

I have not conducted "timed tests" but is clearly much faster than my previous Serial ATA.
The drive is really quiet (less mechancal accessing), my computer is running cooler, and the "file management" intelligence implentended on the Fusion Drive is absolutely seamless.

DavidH

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.