My iPhone 4 is running so slow!!

Reaction score
I didn't update my iPhone 4 in about a year because my computer crapped out on me. I bought a new MacBook pro and updated and rebooted my whole phone. Now my phone loads up very slow. I can't even watch anything on YouTube or my Netflix. My iPhone was running way faster before I updated it.

Is anybody having the same problem?
Does anybody know how can I fix this?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
Are you sure it’s not your internet speeds that have slowed down for some reason? Or do non-internet application run largish as well?

OP
R
Reaction score
Are you sure it’s not your internet speeds that have slowed down for some reason? Or do non-internet application run largish as well?

Would Updating change my internet speed? The speed up uploading and downloading changed dramatically right after I updated the phone

C

chas_m

No, updating has nothing to do with your internet speeds.

I can tell you that the problem is definitely on your end -- I and a number of friends around North America have iPhone 4s on the latest iOS and they run fine.

You might try a complete reset ... also, be sure to let us know if the phone is jailbroken, as that could be playing a role.

OP
R
Reaction score
No, updating has nothing to do with your internet speeds.

I can tell you that the problem is definitely on your end -- I and a number of friends around North America have iPhone 4s on the latest iOS and they run fine.

You might try a complete reset ... also, be sure to let us know if the phone is jailbroken, as that could be playing a role.

I did a complete resent twice. The phone is not jailbroken. My provider is AT&T. I had AT&T your years and never change my plan, so the Internet speed should be the same right? Should I call AT&T to see if there is any changes to my plan?

C

chas_m

That's an excellent idea, would not have thought of that.

Is it only internet speeds that are slow, or do native apps (that don't use the net, let's say Angry Birds as an example) also run slow?

OP
R
Reaction score
That's an excellent idea, would not have thought of that.

Is it only internet speeds that are slow, or do native apps (that don't use the net, let's say Angry Birds as an example) also run slow?

Just the Internet.

C

chas_m

The only thing I can think of is perhaps your phone is getting too full? How much free space is available on the phone?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Is the internet sluggish everywhere - meaning in a coffee shop or some place else besides your home router? Are we talking internet access via Wi-Fi or over the cell network?

OP
R
Reaction score
Wifi connections are good. I called AT&T and they said internet will be slow for unlimited user due to high usage. ***. It might be time to switch company's.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Wifi connections are good. I called AT&T and they said internet will be slow for unlimited user due to high usage. ***. It might be time to switch company's.

That would have been my next guess... the country's backbone needs to catch up with the capabilities of the mobile nodes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM
I just did the speed test app:

Ping- 111ms. Download- 0.11 Mbps Upload- 0.61 Mbps

I have an i phone4( not s) and i can tell you that those speeds are terrible. Were you on wifi when you took this specs or was this your 3g connection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM
3G connection.

Ok i was curious so i just downloaded an app and tested my speed. Note that i am in a HORRIBLE area for service where i don't get more then 2 bars and my friend who lives down the road had to buy a microcell just to get service at his house.

My results on 3G were 1.5MBPS download and .5 MBPS upload. And i have AT&T as well. Maybe its your geographic area.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.