Now you've done it.

Reaction score
I have a G4 that was given to me and it came with Mac OS 9 installed, but there was a program called "FoolProof Security" installed on it and it had a password and stuff so I couldn't do anyting.. almost. So I got the bright idea to try and install another version of Mac. I picked 9.2.2 because ti's really all I could find at the time. One problem I encountered, was that, I couldn't boot from the CD(by holding C during reboot).

So I booted up normally, clicked on install Mac 9.2.2 and selected Clean install. I installed everything file, rebooted and while FoolProof is gone, items on the desktop are still there and they can't be moved to trash.. I thought a clean install from remove my previous set up but I guess I was wrong. Now I have some kind of error in my HD. Number 1, "Problem: volume header needs minor repair, 1,0" and #2, . "Disk is locked" when I try to move desktop items to trash.

I'm a mac noob.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Pop your 9.2.2 disc into the drive, and boot holding down 'C', or by selecting the CD from System Preferences as the startiup disk. Go to Disk Utility and run Verify and Repair Disk and see if that helps.

Can't remember back to 9.2.2, but did you reformat the drive which wipes everything before the install?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If I remember correctly when doing a clean install from Mac OS (classic) is only install a fresh system folder. If you want a pure environment, you will need to wipe the disk first and then install the OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tell me is the CD you picked up a System Restore disc which will work ONLY with the model it was distributed with. This would explain your difficulty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you intend to run Tiger, you need an OS X.4 black colored full retail version install DVD. When you get the disc, try eBay, NewEgg etc, pop it in the optical drive, boot from the disc, go to Utilities and select Disk Utility and erase the drive.

You will see an option window - click it and choose zero the drive to be doubly sure and then do the install.

You will appreciate there are dozens of models of G4's, all with different system restore discs, operating systems, specifications etc and therefore dozens of of different system restore discs.

Reaction score
On some G4's you hold down the Option key on boot and select CD.

M

MacHeadCase

This leads me to believe, like harryb mentioned, that you don't have the retail full install OS X disks. Are the disks black or grey ?

Or... the disk wiped some kind of firmware update that is needed to install OS X on it, if the G4 is very old.

Reaction score
Idaho, USA, Out in the Country Northwest of Boise
Your Mac's Specs
Pismo 400MHz bought for $46
Use Apple Software Update

If you can get any version of the Classic system to run, be sure to run the Software Update Control Panel BEFORE upgrading to OS X. You will need the latest version of open firmware in order to install it properly. This might take care of other problems too. It got rid of my OS 9.2.1 instability problems on my Pismo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook C2D 2.2Ghz and 2 G4 550Mhz Pismos
Try holding the option key at bootup again. If the only thing that appears is the HD, hit that recycle button after the clock icon disappears. If you have a bootable disc in the drive, it may show up then.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.