Have no permissions in iTunes to dl from the store !!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
If this is more appropriate in OSX - Operating System please move.

Now havnt done anything out of the ordinary except updated iTunes 2 days ago and now everytime i go to update or dl from the store i get this msg

20110310-gy1eu8k4i3sehns3hawsxf9jcd.jpg

Now if i goto store>check downloads it comes up with

20110310-mp81978f3mbdsga7xdpm7yuhgj.jpg

Now the question is, is there a App out there that will scan for folders with there permissions and bring up any i select it to ??
I only ask bc i have checked the permissions on my iTunes Media Folder and the sub folders in that but not the sub>sub folders as i have 1000's

Any suggestions anyone. bc im NOT going to search for a single folder!!! IS that what the error is y=trying to tell me ??

Anyone else with problems after the update ??
As everyone knows i will need access to this. Anything will be welcomed

iTunes 10.2.1

I will try repairing permissions and see if that fixes it and will post back. Apart from that i dont know what else to do

Cheers

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What are the permissions on your ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music and ~/Music/iTunes/Mobile Applications folder? Your users should have read & write permissions. I know you checked the permissions already but what are the permissions on the folders that you checked?

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
All folders and sub folders down to the start of the album folders are all Read&Write.

I just did a clean sweep with MainMenu and still no joy. As soon as i opened iTunes i got another error saying You dont have the required permissions to complete this request and it then went to my Library when i clicked the OK tab.

I have checked and double checked everything up until getting into the 1000's of folder :(

Cheers

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BUMP

Anyone anything ??

It really annoying as it wont let me update, dl ANYTHING !!!!!!

Will trashing the .plist do anything ??
Is there a terminal command or set of commands to find this shoddy permissions ??
Will a trashing of iTunes and reinstalling change anything ??
Will a reinstall of the system my only way to go ??

Cheers

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have run into problems in the past with permissions getting messed up and I used an APP that I believe is named Locker (will check to see if this is correct).
You launch the APP and it sits in your dock and if you have a problem file or folder you drag and drop it on the Dock Icon. Has helped me before, but don't know if it would help here.

EDIT: I will check when I get home, since I don't have access to my MBP right now. Taking the liberty of editing my edits and cleaning up this post. I believe this is the APP I was talking about

http://www.vojousoftware.com/locker/

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Some things to try.

1. Go in to verify the permissions on your iTunes Media folder again - first open up iTunes Preferences - Advanced and make sure it hasn't changed - or just do it to your Music folder (I'm assuming you're not using an external for your Media folder). Unlock the lock - click the gear at the bottom and select 'Apply to enclosed items'. This will change all subfolders at one click.

2. Make sure you have a 'Shared' folder inside your 'Users' folder - and make sure it has 'Read & Write' permissions across the board. iTunes will not work without that folder.

3. look in your Users/Shared folder - if you have something in there called 'SC Info', move it out.

4. Try de-authorizing and re-authorizing your iTunes account.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
2. Make sure you have a 'Shared' folder inside your 'Users' folder - and everyone has 'Read & Write' permissions for it. iTunes will not work without that folder.
Really? Nice tip!

I just tried changing the permissions on that folder to read only for everybody except for "everyone" which I changed to "No Access." I did that and when I opened up iTunes, I got an error message saying the following: "You do not have enough access privileges for this operation." I tried downloading the free single of the week (sorry TM, don't feel like spending money to help you out here) and I was told that I couldn't because the permissions were wrong on my iTunes folder. Changed the permissions back to read & write for system, wheel and everyone and the song downloaded without a problem.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2. Make sure you have a 'Shared' folder inside your 'Users' folder - and make sure it has 'Read & Write' permissions across the board. iTunes will not work without that folder.

Phew This worked Bob TY so very much.
As soon as i saw your post, i knew i had to put a Shared Folder in my Users. I remember Trashing it when i did a Daisy Disk look and it went when i did a clean out. Awesome Thanks again mate :)

Really? Nice tip!

One to remember for sure. Ill be the first to suggest this when we get another similar thread

(sorry TM, don't feel like spending money to help you out here)

I would of for you ;P
I could of Pay Pal'ed you

Thanks for going that far anyway Van Cheers mate

TY all im back to normal now :)

Cheers

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Glad it worked out.

Just another of those things why it's not good with OS X to go mucking about outside of your Home folder (at least not without a backup). You just never know how things are all tied together.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would of for you ;P
I could of Pay Pal'ed you

Thanks for going that far anyway Van Cheers mate
That's what the free song of the week is for my good man. That, or I would have had to find a song I liked and felt "compelled" to download it. ;)

Reaction score
Itunes Media Folder "Write access"

im having the same issue as the other man is having but how do i change permissions, so that i can download movies and stuff from itunes?

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
im having the same issue as the other man is having but how do i change permissions, so that i can download movies and stuff from itunes?

Try this as already posted above

Originally Posted by bobtomay

If no luck be sure to return and we will take it from there

Cheers

Reaction score
Same Problemm!!!

Some things to try.

1. Go in to verify the permissions on your iTunes Media folder again - first open up iTunes Preferences - Advanced and make sure it hasn't changed - or just do it to your Music folder (I'm assuming you're not using an external for your Media folder). Unlock the lock - click the gear at the bottom and select 'Apply to enclosed items'. This will change all subfolders at one click.

3. look in your Users/Shared folder - if you have something in there called 'SC Info', move it out.

4. Try de-authorizing and re-authorizing your iTunes account.

HI, i have the same problem with the premissions and privelleges accessing itunes store and downloading an app for my new iphone.
just like @tattooedmac i did store>check downloads but then i recieve a message saying:

"We could not complete your Itunes store request. You dont have enough privileges for this operation. There was an error in the Itunes store."

All of the itunes and shared folders are with read and write permissions and the SC Info inside the users/shared folder i cannot remove or delete. And when i try to authorize or de-authorize my apple ID this appears:

"There was an error storing your authorization information on the computer. The required file was not found or has permissions error. Correct this permissions problem and try again, or de-authorize this computer if the permissions cannot be changed."

And when i de-authorized the same msg appears!

Please helpp! Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.