Please Help....so bummed

Reaction score
Hi!
I have a water damaged 2009 macbook:( It will not power on. How do I get my information off the computer before I sell it for parts. Please Help..Thanks:(:(:(:(:(:(

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi!
I have a water damaged 2009 macbook:( It will not power on. How do I get my information off the computer before I sell it for parts. Please Help..Thanks:(:(:(:(:(:(

1. Remove the hard drive.
2. Install the hard drive into an external hard drive enclosure.
3. Connect the hard drive to a 2nd computer.
4. Copy your info.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4GHz i5 OS X 10.6.3
An external docking station that accommodates both 2.5 & 3.5 inch HDD's is both ideal and cheap:

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,Computer Accessories,External Enclosures,2.5" & 3.5"

If you intend to keep the HDD and make it a permanent external then a 2.5 inch enclosure is a good way to go and even cheaper:

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,Computer Accessories,External Enclosures,2.5"

I'm only linking to NewEgg to show examples. Even though they have excellent prices, search around and you may find even better deals.

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi!

Thanks so much for your help. A couple more questions. I think I have figured out how to remove the hard drive. Is there a store that sells the hard drive adapters? How much are they? I would like to wipe this hard drive clean and re-install it. Any other details you could give sure would be helpful! I really appreciate it!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
OP
P
Reaction score
selling damaged macbook Late 2009

I am loving Mac Forums!! You guys are so helpful and fast! How much should I expect to get for my damaged MacBook. I paid 999.00 for it. Should I include the apple care still left on the machine (2.5 years)? Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I am loving Mac Forums!! You guys are so helpful and fast! How much should I expect to get for my damaged MacBook. I paid 999.00 for it. Should I include the apple care still left on the machine (2.5 years)? Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks!!

Hard to say since we don't know precisely which model it is and how its equipped (memory, hdd size, cpu speed, etc). It should say on the bottom if you flip it over.

Also, is it aluminum or plastic?

Just a rough estimate - the logic board will cost something like $600 without labor (assuming that's the only thing the water damaged). So figure the actual resale value minus $600 and you've got a rough value.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Should I include the apple care still left on the machine (2.5 years)?

You don't get a choice whether to include the Applecare or not. The Applecare is linked to the serial number of the computer. So when you sell it, the remaining Applecare automatically becomes the property of the new owner.

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Ok, next question. I have purchased an enclosure and connected it to my other computer. I have opened disk utility and there are choices of ways to erase data 0, 7, and 35 times. I don't have anything on the computer that is government secret or anything like that, but I do wish to erase all of my pictures, documents and music. I do plan to sell the computer to someone I don't know. Which method should I choose to do this? Thanks for your help! Candace

p.s. Nick..Apple care told me if I bought another computer they could credit me the balance of my old apple care to use towards a new computer...is that not correct? Let me know your thoughts..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
p.s. Nick..Apple care told me if I bought another computer they could credit me the balance of my old apple care to use towards a new computer...is that not correct? Let me know your thoughts..

Hmmm...that's interesting I haven't heard that before. Obviously if someone at Apple told you this, then it must be true!;)

Generally when folks have a computer with Applecare (and sell it)...the buyer takes possession of the computer & any remaining Applecare on the computer becomes the property of the new owner (since the Applecare purchased for a computer is usually linked to the serial number of only that particular computer).

But hey...if you are able to transfer the remaining Applecare to a new computer...and extend the basic 12 month warranty...then great!:)

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
basins danise

I think this only applied if I was purchasing a new computer right then. It may be a while before we can get a new one:( so I guess I will just lose the apple care. They weren't going to transfer the actual service to another computer. They were just going to credit me a dollar amount towards another applecare plan...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
They were just going to credit me a dollar amount towards another applecare plan...

Nothing wrong with that. :D Like Nick, I didn't know Apple would make allowances for unused Apple care. Considering how expensive Apple care is on new notebooks, that is really good customer service.

Another reason why Apple is still number one in customer service!

By the way, sorry to hear of your misfortune with the Mac. Water damage is bad, bad, and more bad. :Angry-Tongue:

Regards.

Reaction score
Apple actually told me that you could get a refund for the remainder of the applecare. so if i was u selling it as parts i would look into getting the remainder in cash so you can have as much possible to replace your mac.. i have posted this before but im gonna do it again when you buy a mac on Ebay or anywhere else and it has applecare it is really important to have the applecare switched to your name because the original owner without you even knowing about it can get a refund for that applecare.

OP
P
Reaction score
Hey Yall,

I actually talked to apple care today and they are sending me a check for teh 2.5 years of apple care I had left on my macbook...YIPEEE!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
I would say you get less than the price minus $600 if you sell it as parts... The person buying it will be unlikely to assume that it only has a bad logic board if they know it has water damage. For all they know the display could have gotten some damage, the DVD drive might be messed up or any number of things.

If its a white one I would expect you get between 200 and 240 for it... maybe a little more if you have one of the aluminums.

You might find that you can get the best value out of it by selling the parts yourself (take it apart and sell the parts by themselves).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.