ubd wants to use the keychain

Reaction score
Ever since the last batch of updates I encounter a very annoying problem. Out of nowhere, a box pops up saying that "ubd wants to use the login keychain". No password works, but most annoying, the computer is almost frozen. No network connections are available and Force Quit won't help. Basically, the user that gets this message is left with a useless computer.
What I did:
- Repaired the Keychain
- Delete the login keychain
- Accept all certificates that were untrusted
- Force Quit ubd

All to no avail. This is a recurring problem and I could find no working solutions so far. Does any one know how to resolve this?

Thanks

Reaction score
From what I understand ubd is part of icloud (and evidently DropBox?). Are you running Lion? Do you have icloud set up?

OP
P
Reaction score
Yes, I suspect that this ubd error issue is due to the useless piece of junk called iCloud. No, I do not have iCloud set up since I see no value in this trash.
I found no reliable way to disable iCloud completely so if you have a recommendation, I'd be grateful.
Yes, I use Lion with the latest updates.

I read somewhere that iCloud can be disable from the Mail application (deleting the iCloud account there) but:
1. I do not use Mail (I find Outlook 100 times better) therefore I never even set it up as a mail client
2. Since I do not use iCloud, I have no account with it or in the Mail app

Thanks

Reaction score
ubd why????

I have the same thing..all the time the pop-up comes up.
Even canceling it's request it will pop-up 2 seconds later.

Anybody who knows how to solve this?

cheers
Ruud

OP
P
Reaction score
ubd non-sense

Apple is also scrambling in the dark. I have Applecare and have opened a ticket with them. It's in the works for the past 7 days and haven't heard an intelligent solution so far (apart from the unacceptable "reinstall Lion").

If and when they come back with a solution I will post it here for all.

Reaction score
ubd wants to use the login keychain

Apple is also scrambling in the dark. I have Applecare and have opened a ticket with them. It's in the works for the past 7 days and haven't heard an intelligent solution so far (apart from the unacceptable "reinstall Lion").

If and when they come back with a solution I will post it here for all.

About a month ago my wonderful wife bought a new iMac. Today she started getting this message. Has there been any resolution that anyone has heard of?:Not-Amused:

Thanks for any assistance. 2012 is not off to a good start.

Tony Lima

OP
P
Reaction score
I'm afraid not. The last I heard from a cluless Apple tech was that "they're looking into this" and the matter is supposed to be resolved with Apple's upcoming patches (whenever those will be released)....I guess whoever says that Apple is better than Microsoft, apparently is either living in a self imposed dream world or is just sick with wishful thinking.

Reaction score
I have found a solution that works for this problem on another Apple forum. The problem was caused in my case by upgrading my software, on the advice of Apple Care, because I was being asked about another keychain issue constantly... I have a 1 month old Lion Air.
Basically you have to create a new keychain access. I quote from that excellent reply by Jordan2010

1. You need to open the Keychain access by:

2. going to applications -> open utilities folder -> click to open Keychain Access

3. continue to press the cancel button on the "ubd wants to use login keychain" box for the keychain window to open. Once you have keychain access open select

4. "Keychain Access" next to the little apple logo

5. click preferences in the options panel and the preference box will open

6. click "Reset My Default Keychain" another box will pop up that says "Please enter your login password."

7. This password will be used to create your new keychain, (of course this is assumes that you use a login password to access your mac) -> enter your login password and a box shows up that says "created a new empty 'Login' keychain"

After that you should be good to go. This new keychain you created with your login password overides the old keychain. The old keychain is still available in the Keychain's folder but is not being used and therefore can be deleted. All you have to do now is press ok, and your good. If the "ubd wants to use login keychain" box is still there after you reset your keychains just hit cancel and it should be gone for good or you can enter your login password.

8. You may need to press cancel on the ubd box throughout this entire process,

Reaction score
Excellent

It worked, this is the right solution.

I have found a solution that works for this problem on another Apple forum. The problem was caused in my case by upgrading my software, on the advice of Apple Care, because I was being asked about another keychain issue constantly... I have a 1 month old Lion Air.
Basically you have to create a new keychain access. I quote from that excellent reply by Jordan2010

1. You need to open the Keychain access by:

2. going to applications -> open utilities folder -> click to open Keychain Access

3. continue to press the cancel button on the "ubd wants to use login keychain" box for the keychain window to open. Once you have keychain access open select

4. "Keychain Access" next to the little apple logo

5. click preferences in the options panel and the preference box will open

6. click "Reset My Default Keychain" another box will pop up that says "Please enter your login password."

7. This password will be used to create your new keychain, (of course this is assumes that you use a login password to access your mac) -> enter your login password and a box shows up that says "created a new empty 'Login' keychain"

After that you should be good to go. This new keychain you created with your login password overides the old keychain. The old keychain is still available in the Keychain's folder but is not being used and therefore can be deleted. All you have to do now is press ok, and your good. If the "ubd wants to use login keychain" box is still there after you reset your keychains just hit cancel and it should be gone for good or you can enter your login password.

8. You may need to press cancel on the ubd box throughout this entire process,

OP
P
Reaction score
William's solution does work, however, this is not a permanent solution if the Mac is in an enterprise environment (in my case, a school), where different users may use the same machine. The solution is a per user solution, not per machine. In other words, this is something than can definitely work if you have only one Mac used by only one (or two) individuals. In an environment where you have lots of (different) users using the same Mac, the stupid "ubd" error will reappear.
Apple should provide a permanent solution!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.