New Seagate Momentus Hard Drive 7200.4

Reaction score
I just ordered a new hard 500GB 7200.4 7200rpm Seagate Momentus Hard Drive from Dell. Unfortunately that was the only place I was able to get it for many reasons, mostly being financial. But to the point. I ordered it and it should get here in a week, the problem i am facing is that it has a gforce sensor which i have heard tends to conflict with the sms sensor on the macbook pro. I just want reassurance i guess that if I turn off the sms sensor on my mac the new momentus hard drive will work fine. I also read in other threads but with not too much detail that I shouldnt turn off the sms sensor on my mac. I dont see a big deal with doing that because the hard drive comes with a gforce sensor and that should be sufficient. Shouldn't it?
I have googled this hard drive day and night for like two weeks straight, and I really want it, i guess my desire for the drive made me order it from dell. I couldnt wait to let the first generation work out the kinks and also wait until i could afford a momentus without the gforce from like owc or newegg. Ohh well, what is done is done and now i need feedback. I am a newbie but I have learned alot by googling and stuff.
SO far i have been able to find out about turning off the sms, using ccc or superduper to clone the drive and I have also seen not to cover the breathing hole in the new drive with the wires. Umm ohh and to also be very careful with the ribbon wires, I have seen that some people yanked on them and they messed up their macbooks :Grimmace: what a shame. Anything else I should know?
I have read from other posts that some people went the same route I did and their drive is working wonderfully. FEEDBACK?

OP
W
Reaction score
Well its me again with an update.
Im very disappointed that no one responded or posted some sort of feedback. But just in case there are other lost souls out there like me who are clueless and are attempting to change their first hard drive on a very expensive little toy (macbook pro) I posting a followup.
I changed the hard drive today and it went actually faster then I thought. I had a bit of trouble with the ribbons but besides that it was ok. CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) worked awesome in mirroring my hard drive. No programs missing everything just like i left it.
Now for the hard drive review. The hard drive is not as wonderful as i thought but i am not disappointed neither. It is very quiet, actually quieter than the stock toshiba 200gb hard drive that it came with, the heat, I do not feel anything, its cooler than the stock drive. The only thing that I did feel was a bit of vibration, but nothing that is horrendous, its just a little vibration which I got accustomed to and I really dont notice it anymore. The only complaint that I have on this momentus is that the start up is a bit slower than the stock hard drive but once I am at the dock the hard drive is more responsive than the previous one. Lose something, gain something. But what I was after was really the 500gb space and I got it. Ohh another big thing is that this 7200 rpm hard drive does eat up my battery pretty quick. But that does not bother me because everywhere I go there are outlets and it is rare if I am not connected to one so thats no biggie.
Hope this helped.
If anyone knows what may be causing my slow startup, its not really slow I would say it is a second or two slow than the previous hard drive, post a suggestion please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
first off great choice in hard drive, I have the 5400 version and it is amazing. Toshiba drives are very noisy and unreliable. Note for the future, Newegg.com is always is the cheapest. Next time i recommend using disk utility in the operating system(open up disk utility and click on a hard drive, under the restore tab just drag each drive into the box you want each in, and click the restore button. Faster, safer, easier.)

to solve you slow booting problem. I know some computers will not perform correctly with the newer 3.0gbps they will require a 1.5gbps drive. i know that my macbook requires a 1.5 but will perform just fine with a 3.0 if you have an older mac it may not support your new drive, but don't worry. you can run the drive as 1.5 you just need to put a jumper on the drive. either talk with dell or seagate(whoever is offering support)

Let me know any news.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
to solve you slow booting problem. I know some computers will not perform correctly with the newer 3.0gbps they will require a 1.5gbps drive. i know that my macbook requires a 1.5 but will perform just fine with a 3.0 if you have an older mac it may not support your new drive, but don't worry. you can run the drive as 1.5 you just need to put a jumper on the drive. either talk with dell or seagate(whoever is offering support)

Huh? Would you mind interpreting all that as SATA drives do not have jumpers.... :eek: ?

To the OP:

I just changed out the hard drive in my MacBook to a WD Scorpio 7200 RPM 320 GB model from the stock Hitachi 5400 RPM 160 GB.

My boot time likewise increased around 15 seconds or so = It takes approximately 45 to 50 seconds whereas before it was around 30 to 35 seconds.

I attribute that to the larger internal disk cache and possibly the time it takes for the system to read the disk (since it's larger). However, once it's up and running, it's noticeably faster and quiet. I don't use my machine much as a portable so have not really measured battery time.

How many times a day do you boot your machine anyway? :)

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
You want a larger cache it will decrease them time. but could also be increased size being fragmented. also WD drive are usually the slower ones.

The jumpers are on all 3.0gbps drives and will not be on any 1.5gbps drives if yours does not have them then it is a 1.5gbps drive.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
Have you been to the Extreme Tech website and looked up the MBP HDD upgrade tutorial.

I printed it out and had it in front of me when I upgraded my 200 for a 500 Gb hard drive. It was very easy provided you follow the guidance and have the right tools.

I didn't have a spudge tool so used a thin cooking spatula made of plastic to separate the ribbon cable from the top of the HDD. Very gently slide the spatula under the cable and ease it up - it works great as you are 'moving' in the same direction as the cable.

So, have a go and enjoy. I enjoyed it immensely - very satisfying. I wrote about it on my thread about 'difficulties' in upgrades.

Whilst I appreciate you were sad about the lack of response, there is an immense amount of information on this site if you look and use the search feature - that's all I did and followed up other people's suggestions.

Reaction score
Kernel Panic

As an FYI, after replacing my internal Macbook Pro HD with the Momentus 7200.4, my machine keeps hitting the kernel panic with the message "Unable to find driver for platform: 'ACPI'." Tried booting to safe mode, but that didn't work. Also tried reinstalling the OS and repairing file permissions. Next option on deck is to try disabling the SMS for the HD as it seems some people have mentioned conflicts that cause kernel panics. I will be really sad if I can't use this new HD.

oak

Reaction score
'AS or 'ASG?

As an FYI, after replacing my internal Macbook Pro HD with the Momentus 7200.4, my machine keeps hitting the kernel panic with the message "Unable to find driver for platform: 'ACPI'." Tried booting to safe mode, but that didn't work. Also tried reinstalling the OS and repairing file permissions. Next option on deck is to try disabling the SMS for the HD as it seems some people have mentioned conflicts that cause kernel panics. I will be really sad if I can't use this new HD.

Which type did you install, the 'AS or 'ASG?

The 'ASG may conflict with the SMS.

I have successfully installed the 'AS without issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.