First time Mac User can't connect to wireless network at home

S

sammcgizzy

Hi all,

I just got my first Mac ever on Monday and I can't get it to connect to the existing wireless network at home.

The Macbook Pro recognizes the network "Beverly" but it requires a password.
Now my aunt set up the network, she has 2 dells, and told me the password but it says there is an error connecting or that the password is invalid.

Is there any advise out there? I'm not very computer saavy but usually never have problems like this.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Hi all,

I just got my first Mac ever on Monday and I can't get it to connect to the existing wireless network at home.

The Macbook Pro recognizes the network "Beverly" but it requires a password.
Now my aunt set up the network, she has 2 dells, and told me the password but it says there is an error connecting or that the password is invalid.

Is there any advise out there? I'm not very computer saavy but usually never have problems like this.

Thanks

What kind of security is it using? WEP? WPA? Something else?

I find it's best to use the actual Hex key rather than the password, which I have found to never actually work.

She needs to connect to the router via one of the dells and log on to it and find out what kind of security its using and then view the key generated. When you try and connect, you should select the security type and select the corresponding drop down and enter the key.

OP
S

sammcgizzy

Ok. Thanks. Also, would you know where that information can be found when her computer is connected? and where I can see the key generated? she is using windows and its setup to automatically connect to the network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Ok. Thanks. Also, would you know where that information can be found when her computer is connected? and where I can see the key generated? she is using windows and its setup to automatically connect to the network.

Windows and OS X are equally annoying at hiding this kind of stuff from users. The best way to look at the key is to log onto the the router itself.

She should open up a copmmand window (Start -> Run type "cmd" without the quotes and press enter). In the command box she should type "ipconfig"). The ip address of the computer and router will appear, as well as other data. In her browser (IE or Firefox) she should type the address of the router, likely something like 192.168.x.x and this should log her on to the router itself. There may be a username and password to type.

In the router, somewhere under wireless settings/security (or something similar) you'll see the WEP security and should be able to view it as either a password or HEX-128bit/64-bit. Select the latter and you'll see a string of hex characters. This is what you need to type into your Mac, ensuring you select the same protocol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.16Ghz Intel Duo Core 2
I have the same problem with my network...so what your saying is I have to have my network in WEP mode and not WPA which I have at the moment is this correct. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD
I have the same problem with my network...so what your saying is I have to have my network in WEP mode and not WPA which I have at the moment is this correct. Thanks

Your router and all of your computers must be using the same type of encryption and the same password. If your router is using WEP, all computers must be using WEP. If WPA, all computers must be WPA.

Reaction score
I had a nightmare time today installing my new Netgear wireless router. Finally figured out that I had to configure the Airport settings which can be found under Sharing/Internet. All worked instantly after I'd done this.

Netgear phone support were useless.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.