need help booting from dvd drive

Reaction score
I have forgotten my admin password and am trying to boot from the Mac OS X Install DVD that came w\my Imac. I select restart from the apple menu and when the gray screen comes up I press the c key, however, when the imac comes up it booting from the hard drive instead of the dvd drive. It does have a window for the install drive open, but it is my understanding that if it was booting from the install disk the first thing i would need to do is select my language. So my question is, when am I supposed to press the c key to get it to boot from the dvd drive and not the hard drive? I know this is a very basic question i just can't seem to get the timing right.

Thank you.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have forgotten my admin password and am trying to boot from the Mac OS X Install DVD that came w\my Imac. I select restart from the apple menu and when the gray screen comes up I press the c key, however, when the imac comes up it booting from the hard drive instead of the dvd drive. It does have a window for the install drive open, but it is my understanding that if it was booting from the install disk the first thing i would need to do is select my language. So my question is, when am I supposed to press the c key to get it to boot from the dvd drive and not the hard drive? I know this is a very basic question i just can't seem to get the timing right.

Thank you.

Hold the "c" key down while the Mac is restarting when it chimes.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank you, my timing must be bad, as i could not get that to work. I ended up from the apple menu choosing preferences and boot from the dvd. Changed the password and then changed my preference back to the hd.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.