Recovery HD is Locked

Reaction score
Hey, recently rebooted my mac as it was running really slow. I come back to it in the morning and its coming up with the utility pane but it wont allow me to re-install or do anything really. I've rebooted a few times before but this has never occurred. Please help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Rebooting - is just the process of shutting the machine down then powering it on again.

I suspect this isn't what you mean. Do you mean you tried to reinstall the OS?

Can you explain in a little more details exactly what you did, which Mac model you have and which version of OSX?

OP
M
Reaction score
Rebooting - is just the process of shutting the machine down then powering it on again.

I suspect this isn't what you mean. Do you mean you tried to reinstall the OS?

Can you explain in a little more details exactly what you did, which Mac model you have and which version of OSX?

I powered off the mac by holding and pressing the power button. I then came to the mac in the morning, turned it on, apple logo appears in the centre of the screen as per and then instead of coming to the user page where i enter my password, the utility panel comes up with the grey background. I had no intension of re-installling anything, just simply re-booting in order for it to unfreeze. Im on a mid 2010 macbook pro with Lion. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Power off, Hold R, power on.

This will take you into the Lion recovery partition.

Use Disk Utility to Repair the disk, then repair permissions.

OP
M
Reaction score
Power off, Hold R, power on.

This will take you into the Lion recovery partition.

Use Disk Utility to Repair the disk, then repair permissions.

so power off until its totally off, then hold r, turn back on while holding r or?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, but missed a bit sorry. It's CMD+R

Reaction score
Same problem...

Hello - I have had EXACTLY the same problem as this user has had, but when I boot in to the recovery disk, it says it is locked. I have tried booting using the alt-key, and this takes me to the same place via the internet, but the same thing is happening - it is just telling me the disk is locked, and the HD cannot even be seen or mounted.

Please help, anyone!

Thanks in advance ;-)

>>>>>>>>>>>>> Also, I have used disk utility to 'repair' and am always told that there is nothing wrong with it. The SMART status is verified, so I gather this indicates that this is a system problem rather than the hardware, so all I want to try and do is reinstall the system software (which I gather I can do without affecting my other files. I hope that is correct?) I am not familiar with any of this stuff, but I spoke to someone at Apple who gave me that impression anyway!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.