• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

My pocket's on fire!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Don't you hate when you get a rather large sum of money coming at you and there's several different things you want?

New motorcycle
New camera
New lens and lighting equipment
New MBP

I can only pick one.

:(

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do you have enough for all 4 of them? :D

What new camera are you thinking of purchasing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Completely off at a tangent, but I can't resist, and I know you all want to read this.

When I was but a lad, back last century, I accompanied my grandfather from the suburb to the city and return on the tram. Grandad smoked a pipe, and did so on the return journey (such things were permitted those days). When it came time to alight, G'dad stuffed his pipe into his jacket pocket in order to help me in safety off the tram, in the middle of the road.

G'dad then encountered a professional colleague on the footpath and stopped to converse, completely forgetting the pipe. It was not until I'd persisted in tapping on G'dad's arm - a forbidden activity - that his pocket, by then smoldering merrily, was brought to his attention. There followed some frenetic activity, first in getting the hot pipe out of the pocket, the jacket off, and the fire extinguished under G'dad's shoe.

Oh yes, nearly forgot - I'd go for the new MBP.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Don't you hate when you get a rather large sum of money coming at you and there's several different things you want?
What a travesty! I can't believe you have such a horrible problem ;).

I really wish I had that problem...

Reaction score
Get the MBP and a motorcycle game, then pretend you have a motorcycle!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Motorcycle. It attracts women.

Then you are the winner because you have a motorcycle and women.

Reaction score
Definitely new photography equipment! I myself am a avid photographer and only wish I could afford a at home studio.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
MBP, Yes please. ^^"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
What kind of bike are you looking at?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I think it's best to sort out the needs from the wants.
Is any of the 4 a real need? If so grab that one.
If they are all wants, just pick the one you'd be most likely to still be using and enjoying in 4 of 5 years time. Cause it's a large pile of loot you have. And otherwise would take you ages to save it up. The best long term enjoyment is my advice. That's if there is no needs there.

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
What kind of bike are you looking at?

TL1000R

I think it's best to sort out the needs from the wants.
Is any of the 4 a real need? If so grab that one.
If they are all wants, just pick the one you'd be most likely to still be using and enjoying in 4 of 5 years time. Cause it's a large pile of loot you have. And otherwise would take you ages to save it up. The best long term enjoyment is my advice. That's if there is no needs there.

The camera and lenses are the closest need, but the camera won't be readily available to purchase until after December most likely.

The bike is only going to cost me $1250 and I need a bike. Especially one that gets worse gas mileage than my SUV. I miss my last one.

I've already got 1 MBP, one Dell Notebook, and two Dell desktops, one that's running Ubuntu and acting as a file server and the other that's keeping the dust off a certain spot on my floor.

The last two girls I've been talking to don't know that I ride, but maybe that'll help me out even more.

Does this vehicle come with, how do you say? "***** magnet"? /Borat

And I just got my Business license last week. I might be a wedding photographer is all goes well this week. They make bank (and deal with lots of headaches...).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
I would get the MKII, that is such a sweet camera!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
If it was me, I would go with a MacBook Pro. They are legit. You could use it as an investment and do edit pictures or video for people and make a little pocket change. Thats what I do with my iMac! ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
Actually, its would be an asset. After you start making money, then it would become an Investment.

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
If it was me, I would go with a MacBook Pro. They are legit. You could use it as an investment and do edit pictures or video for people and make a little pocket change. Thats what I do with my iMac! ;D

I already have a 2.2 ghz C2D that I do all my image editing on. I just need to upgrade to CS4 and LR2. It's one of my future purchases though.

I believe I'm picking up the bike, because it's a steal and after it's put back together, I could easily sell it for $2k profit if I don't want it (that's proposterous!). Then by the time the MKII is readily available, I'll have the money for that and it'll probably be cheaper than the $2700 MRSP that stores are taking for the pre-orders.

After that, I'll use money from weddings and shoots to round out my photography needs of a Canon 24-70 f/2.8, Canon 16-35 f/2.8, two more studio strobes, a battery pack for them, and at least one more Pocket Wizard.

Then I'll hopefully be shooting enough to get a MBP and pay off my bills, quite my day job (that's really going to hurt for a little while), and become a world famous photographer.

There. That was easy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.