Using G4 Imac hard drive as external drive

Reaction score
I have an old G4 Imac (flower pot). It is fried all but the hard drive. I have removed the hard drive and retrieved all the data by hooking it up to a G4 tower at work. Is there a way to rig it up to use as an external hard drive on my Mac Pro? Seems terrible to waste 40 Gb of space.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Just buy an external ATA / USB 2 enclosure and install the drive in that

Dont pay too much for an enclosure and make sure it is compatible

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Just buy an external ATA / USB 2 enclosure and install the drive in that. Don't pay too much for an enclosure and make sure it is compatible

May I add that you don't actually need an enclosure. I successfully and safely run two 'bare' drives to both my eMac and G3 b/w using an ATA(IDE)-USB adaptor (US$20) I cover the upper surface of the exposed drives with a paper tissue to keep out dust, and use a switchable power source to the adaptor. Oh, and you can make your own drive enclosure out of polystyrene if you wish. Post back (or PM me) if you want further instruction about How To.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.