Parallels with bootcamp?

Reaction score
Greetings:

I use a windows program for music video play back and I use a mac program for mp3 play back. I currently have bootcamp just for the one program. Someone told me to use parallels and I should be able to run both programs at the same time? Does that sound correct?

Secondly I am about to setup the trial but should I run parallels from my bootcamp and does that mean I still have to have bootcamp? Or should I install windows to parallels and delete my bootcamp hard drive? Not sure I understand this aspect and what it does and what it means. It seems strange to have bootcamp and a partian on my hard drive for bootcamp and then run parallels as well. Or maybe I am missing something. Thanks for your help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, that's correct. Read the following KB article from Parallels to learn how.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Yes, that's correct. Read the following KB article from Parallels to learn how.

Good read.

Will that still allow me to take full advantage of the processor and ram of my Mac when running Windows? The whole point of installing it through bootcamp was for the power I needed to run my CAD program. I would like not to have to restart every time to switch between OSes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Virtual machines can never give you the full power of your machine as you are running two OSes simultaneously. If that is what you need then you need to boot into bootcamp.

I run EDA software in a virtual machine - but I mainly run demos. For any real CAD work I would go to a workstation VNC, or boot into my bootcamp partition. What CAD are you running and how intensive is it? For Autocad I would say Parallels would probably run it fine until you got to rather large files. For board layout - if you are doing it by hand then it is probably OK. For stuff like simulation, 3d CAD and the like then I would say I wouldn't run a VM unless you were running something like a demo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I didn't think it could but I did notice many recommendations to use a VM to run a bootcamp partition. So it made me wonder.... Thanks for the clarification.

I'm using Punch! Home Design Architectural Series 3000. It runs smooth until I start loading in furniture and other 3D objects. The biggest lag I notice is when I open the walk-through camera for the first time. It took almost 5 minutes to render all that 3D. This is still better than the 10-15 minutes it took on my Dell. Would more RAM help? I'm still using the stock 2GB but I'm guessing moving up to 4GB would make that particular application work faster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
More RAM would probably help, but even without more RAM running in bootcamp (native) would run faster. You can verify that RAM will help by looking at your swap when you run a VM - the more RAM you can put in/less swap you use, the faster your machine will run overall.

Reaction score
The limitation in a virtual machine is that it uses a virtual graphics device - NOT your native hardware. You didn't tell us what kind of Mac you have, but if it has a discrete graphics adapter you will always get better 3D graphics performance using Boot Camp, regardless of RAM. The latest versions of Fusion and Parallels are much better in terms of 3D graphics support (so upgrading versions to the latest might do more good than adding more RAM, to be honest). However, for 3D graphics-intensive applications (like CAD/CAM, video editing or hard-core gaming), then we recommend running Windows via Boot Camp.

Most users do not use their machines for such 3D intensive applications; most user their Macs for productivity and office applications, surfing, occasional gaming, and other home user apps. For those folks, a virtual machine is ideal. And that group includes me! :) Even for occasional gamers, or simple home video editing they are fine. But for professional level 3D applications, you should run Boot Camp for best results.

First, I would upgrade to the latest version of Parallels if you haven't, but if that doesn't get you where you need to go, then I would run your software under Boot Camp before investing in more RAM.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The limitation in a virtual machine is that it uses a virtual graphics device - NOT your native hardware. You didn't tell us what kind of Mac you have, but if it has a discrete graphics adapter you will always get better 3D graphics performance using Boot Camp, regardless of RAM. The latest versions of Fusion and Parallels are much better in terms of 3D graphics support (so upgrading versions to the latest might do more good than adding more RAM, to be honest). However, for 3D graphics-intensive applications (like CAD/CAM, video editing or hard-core gaming), then we recommend running Windows via Boot Camp.

Most users do not use their machines for such 3D intensive applications; most user their Macs for productivity and office applications, surfing, occasional gaming, and other home user apps. For those folks, a virtual machine is ideal. And that group includes me! :) Even for occasional gamers, or simple home video editing they are fine. But for professional level 3D applications, you should run Boot Camp for best results.

First, I would upgrade to the latest version of Parallels if you haven't, but if that doesn't get you where you need to go, then I would run your software under Boot Camp before investing in more RAM.

Cheers

My Mac's specs are in my details. I don't think this version MBP has the discrete graphics. Not 100% sure on that, though.

I haven't even loaded a VM yet. I was waiting to see if it would be of any benefit. Doesn't sound like it would help any. I would MUCH rather just have the same software for Mac, but I don't see the sense in spending the $$ for it when I already had the Windows version for a couple of years now so I might as well use what I have. - Hence the Windows Bootcamp.

I'll just have to invest in 4GB RAM for around $100 USD. Not a big deal, just something I wanted to be absolutely sure about before I spent the money.

Thanks all! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.