Mail.app 4.2 shrank my jpgs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
I am trying to go to as many native mac apps as I can - starting with Safari, now Mail.app. I just imported my address books, set the format to plaintext and after a bit of trial and error got my IMAP settings to work with lavabit.com.
I sent my brother two jpgs that were 90k each. When they arrived in his inbox they were tiny almost thumbnails.

Is there a shrinkage setting I'm not aware of?

On another note, why do email apps tend to want to cache everything to the local disk? Using IMAP that is the last thing I want to happen. Especially since somebody scared me into disabling FileVault, if somebody steals this machine they would have access to all my email on the local disk. I manually put my password each time I open Mail - I guess I'm old school.
So how do I know whether or not Mail deleted all those messages off the drive despite having it set correctly?
Below you will see two pictures and a screenshot. The screenshot is how I have my email configured. The other two are actually the same picture, but the smaller one (jpeg) was sent through Mail...

DSC00415.JPG

DSC00415.jpeg

Screen shot 2010-03-10 at 11.32.22 PM.jpg

C

chas_m

Mail doesn't have the ability to resize photos one way or another, so that's not what's happening. How are you adding these pictures to your mail message, and from where?

As for security, hopefully it was me that scared you off Filevault! :)

But if you have some sensitive files you want to protect, you can easily create an encrypted disk image via Disk Utility. As for Passwords, there are plenty of utilities for storing those securely, including 1Password.

Reaction score
I am trying to go to as many native mac apps as I can - starting with Safari, now Mail.app. I just imported my address books, set the format to plaintext and after a bit of trial and error got my IMAP settings to work with lavabit.com.
I sent my brother two jpgs that were 90k each. When they arrived in his inbox they were tiny almost thumbnails.

Is there a shrinkage setting I'm not aware of?

Below you will see two pictures and a screenshot. The screenshot is how I have my email configured. The other two are actually the same picture, but the smaller one (jpeg) was sent through Mail...

Mail can resize an image before sending. After you get your image into Mail look on the bottom right hand corner of the message and you will see a box that will let you select different sizes.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-03-11 at 3.22.25 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-03-11 at 3.22.25 PM.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 7
OP
TechieJustin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
Mail doesn't have the ability to resize photos one way or another, so that's not what's happening. How are you adding these pictures to your mail message, and from where?

As for security, hopefully it was me that scared you off Filevault! :)

But if you have some sensitive files you want to protect, you can easily create an encrypted disk image via Disk Utility. As for Passwords, there are plenty of utilities for storing those securely, including 1Password.

I think it was you... I searched and searched and can't find anything about FV's unreliable nature. I'm probably going to re-enable it at some point.
I know about the dmgs and their encryption capability - there is a similar feature with TrueCrypt but the files themselves can by dynamic.

Mail can resize an image before sending. After you get your image into Mail look on the bottom right hand corner of the message and you will see a box that will let you select different sizes.

Yeah, that was it... I chose original size hopefully it will stick to the default.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2019) 2.3 GHz Intel Core i9 8 core / 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 / AMD Radeon Pro Vega
IMAP settings to work with lavabit.com

Hi! Please let me know - step-by-step - how to make Mail.app work with lavabit.com IMAP settings. Keep on trying without success. Wrote to Lavabit Support but for them this sounds like an Apple issue. Used the settings (over SSL) described on Lavabit site, but always got the same pop-up message "the IMAP server "lavabit.com" rejected the password for "myaccount"". Needless to say, the password is correct, but there is no way to configure Mail.app properly (tried also the POP settings... no way).

But you are living proof that it can be done! Please...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My mail has always been at actual size and has never changed. Not sure what caused it to be set to small but that does not sound normal and I use mail on many different macs. Strange but glad you got it sorted.

Not to scare you or anything, but there have been threads here in the past where users lost everything and were using Filevault. I have not seen a thread in ages but it's happened in the past.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.